Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does this die crack in this 1855 half dime make it worth anymore at all? It runs diagonally across the whole reverse

I saw one on ebay with nearly the same crack. Also what is up with the marks between the H and the A on the reverse? The one on ebay exhibits the same markings?

And on the obverse there is some unusual markings I pointed to in red....the one on ebay, same thing...........any clues? Same die?

here is the one on ebay with all the same marks I am referring too

1855 Seated Liberty Half Dime "Arrows" AU | eBay

the one on ebay is higher grade and you can see the extra stuff on the obverse even more pronounced than mine. Here is my coin........click to enlarge
Seated half dime error.jpg

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is the one from ebay if you don't want to click the link, I marked the same areas in red

ebay half dime reverse.JPG ebay half dime.JPG

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im gonna go out on limb and say it looks to be a clashed die or possibly very close to the die exploding. The cracks and anomalies raised up from the surface of the coin were certainly on the die and its not PMD. I can't decide if its just a cracked up die or something more like an actual die clash. I'm not familiar enough with the series to give you a definite answer but i'm sure someone will come along with and let you know for sure, just put it somewhere safe for now.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im gonna go out on limb and say it looks to be a clashed die or possibly very close to the die exploding. The cracks and anomalies raised up from the surface of the coin were certainly on the die and its not PMD. I can't decide if its just a cracked up die or something more like an actual die clash. I'm not familiar enough with the series to give you a definite answer but i'm sure someone will come along with and let you know for sure, just put it somewhere safe for now.
thank you for your answer, hoping more chime in.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
It is a clashed die. The marks on the reverse betweent the H and A are the impression of Liberty's shield from the obverse. The marks on the obverse are the impression of the wreath from the reverse.

Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is it worth any premium over normal values for this year

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
is it worth any premium over normal values for this year

Yes! Although your' coin would only grade Very Good to near Fine, the amount of Die Clashing is fairly significant and will almost always fetch a premium over a similar coin in the same grade without the Die Clashing. Of course, the price it fetches is dependant upon the bidders/buyer (whether they are collectors of such Error coins or a collector just wanting to fill a Date slot in an album)! On your' coin, it appears that there may also be Clashed letters from "HALF DIME" showing on the Obverse which is always a plus and I may be wrong but it appears that there may be some Counter-Die Clashing (i.e. one Die slams into the other Die due to a planchet not being fed into the striking chamber, thus leaving Die Clashes on the opposite Dies, then if the Dies clash again, the images or details are again transferred onto the opposite or original Dies. In other words, the image or details from a Reverse Die is transferred to the Obverse Die but when the Dies clash again, this image that originally came from the Reverse Die is transferred back onto the Reverse Die from the Obverse Die.) Counter-Die Clashes are hard to see unless one of the Dies was partially rotated and that may be the case with your' coin.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Goes4ever

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used