SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's an odd thing below the chin around the neck. Then there's something odd to the mouth to the nose. Then from the nose to the eye. Any ideas??

image-257017175.jpg

image-2294754743.jpg

image-266394748.jpg

image-1028552686.jpg

image-3355035192.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The coin has a Die Clash from the Reverse and you are seeing parts of the Wreath from the Reverse showing from Miss Liberty's neck to her' forehead! The Die Clash could add a little extra value but if you can find and identify a Letter or Lettering from the Reverse that is clashed on the Obverse, then this would graduate from the Error category to Variety category and could be worth a pretty penny. Die clashed details or images on coins are fairly common but Die clashed lettering is much less common as the Mints strive to erase (grind out) their evidence from the Dies more so than clashed details or images!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The coin has a Die Clash from the Reverse and you are seeing parts of the Wreath from the Reverse showing from Miss Liberty's neck to her' forehead! The Die Clash could add a little extra value but if you can find and identify a Letter or Lettering from the Reverse that is clashed on the Obverse, then this would graduate from the Error category to Variety category and could be worth a pretty penny. Frank
Thanks huntsman! Your such a great help! I bought this when I first started collecting 4 years ago. Just realized it. Thanks so much!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks huntsman! Your such a great help! I bought this when I first started collecting 4 years ago. Just realized it. Thanks so much!

It was my pleasure as Error and some Variety coins have been my passion for many, many years! While I got out of the hobby about 7 or 8 years ago and sold my' collections (or accumulations) due to disgust with Coin Dealers and eBay, I recently got interested in them again due to having a small business selling coins and collectibles at Flea Markets and sometimes at Gun Shows. While I once owned probably over 15,000 Error and Variety coins at one time, I doubt that I will ever accumulate or collect that many ever again! Error and Variety Coin Dealers and Collectors have their' own little cliche and it is very hard to get recognized into their fold. I was just getting to that point when the disgust overwhelmed me and I sold nearly my' entire collection! Just beware of this, don't sink money into such coins that you cannot afford to spend, learn all you can about Error and Variety coins and don't be afraid to show the Experts that you know your stuff. It was funny that the very day that I sold my' collection of Error and Variety coins, some VAM (Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar "Van Allen Mallis" Varieties) Experts took notice of my skill and expertise in Cherrypicking VAM's and wanted to purchase most of the VAM's that I had found and collected. Needless to say, they lost out on both as I had already promised to sell most of my' entire coin collection to Larry Briggs!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was my pleasure as Error and some Variety coins have been my passion for many, many years! While I got out of the hobby about 7 or 8 years ago and sold my' collections (or accumulations) due to disgust with Coin Dealers and eBay, I recently got interested in them again due to having a small business selling coins and collectibles at Flea Markets and sometimes at Gun Shows. While I once owned probably over 15,000 Error and Variety coins at one time, I doubt that I will ever accumulate or collect that many ever again! Error and Variety Coin Dealers and Collectors have their' own little cliche and it is very hard to get recognized into their fold. I was just getting to that point when the disgust overwhelmed me and I sold nearly my' entire collection! Just beware of this, don't sink money into such coins that you cannot afford to spend, learn all you can about Error and Variety coins and don't be afraid to show the Experts that you know your stuff. It was funny that the very day that I sold my' collection of Error and Variety coins, some VAM (Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar "Van Allen Mallis" Varieties) Experts took notice of my skill and expertise in Cherrypicking VAM's and wanted to purchase most of the VAM's that I had found and collected. Needless to say, they lost out on both as I had already promised to sell most of my' entire coin collection to Larry Briggs! Frank

Wow! That's amazing! I love the errors and varieties but I don't know much about them! What's the rarest error you ever had or what was your favorite? I hope I can learn from you! Any tips on collecting errors?

OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just noticed there's something wrong here too. Is that part of the die clash?

image-3162449325.jpg

image-2527824600.jpg

image-668775909.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I just noticed there's something wrong here too. Is that part of the die clash?

I really can't make out what it is too well! You might need to take the coin out of the 2x2 for pics. It could be a partial clash of a Letter, a delamination or die crack but really can't tell from the pics and expecially with the coin in the 2x2.

Frank

OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really can't make out what it is too well! You might need to take the coin out of the 2x2 for pics. It could be a partial clash of a Letter, a delamination or die crack but really can't tell from the pics and expecially with the coin in the 2x2. Frank

Ok will do! I've been meaning to put it in a new one anyways. It's odd. I'll take it out and put it under a magnifier.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The coin has a Die Clash from the Reverse and you are seeing parts of the Wreath from the Reverse showing from Miss Liberty's neck to her' forehead! The Die Clash could add a little extra value but if you can find and identify a Letter or Lettering from the Reverse that is clashed on the Obverse, then this would graduate from the Error category to Variety category and could be worth a pretty penny. Die clashed details or images on coins are fairly common but Die clashed lettering is much less common as the Mints strive to erase (grind out) their evidence from the Dies more so than clashed details or images!

Frank

I guess the most memorable were the following:

A 1944-P "Pierfort (or Piefort) Cent" Lincoln Cent struck on a thick planchet which is a Pollock 2078 Variety. I purchased it in a bag of Wheat Cents and had about $0.05 in it and sold it on eBay for $135.

A Wheat Cent that apparently kept sticking to one of the Dies and was triple struck with Brockage strikes in the process and it appeared that one strike was a flip-over strike followed by a brockage and one of the identifiable strikes was off-center. I had about $0.05 in this coin and I believe that I traded it to Mike Diamond (an Error Coin Expert) for a bunch of Error coins, so that Mike could study the coin.

A 1998-P Washington Quarter which was missing part of the cladding which made Washington look like the Phantom of the Opera. I had $0.25 in this coin and sold it on eBay for $350.

There were others but the above stand out the most in my' mind!

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread