Is this an error on this large cent?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    us
    Andrew

    Mar 2012
    South Carolina
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
    1,489
    355 times
    Metal Detecting

    Is this an error on this large cent?

    There's an odd thing below the chin around the neck. Then there's something odd to the mouth to the nose. Then from the nose to the eye. Any ideas??



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-257017175.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	445.4 KB 
ID:	877033



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2294754743.jpg 
Views:	139 
Size:	638.4 KB 
ID:	877034



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-266394748.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	451.4 KB 
ID:	877035



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-1028552686.jpg 
Views:	125 
Size:	419.6 KB 
ID:	877037



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3355035192.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	319.5 KB 
ID:	877036

  2. #2
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6,953
    6719 times
    The coin has a Die Clash from the Reverse and you are seeing parts of the Wreath from the Reverse showing from Miss Liberty's neck to her' forehead! The Die Clash could add a little extra value but if you can find and identify a Letter or Lettering from the Reverse that is clashed on the Obverse, then this would graduate from the Error category to Variety category and could be worth a pretty penny. Die clashed details or images on coins are fairly common but Die clashed lettering is much less common as the Mints strive to erase (grind out) their evidence from the Dies more so than clashed details or images!


    Frank
    Last edited by huntsman53; Oct 07, 2013 at 10:53 AM.

  3. #3
    us
    Andrew

    Mar 2012
    South Carolina
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
    1,489
    355 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by huntsman53 View Post
    The coin has a Die Clash from the Reverse and you are seeing parts of the Wreath from the Reverse showing from Miss Liberty's neck to her' forehead! The Die Clash could add a little extra value but if you can find and identify a Letter or Lettering from the Reverse that is clashed on the Obverse, then this would graduate from the Error category to Variety category and could be worth a pretty penny. Frank
    Thanks huntsman! Your such a great help! I bought this when I first started collecting 4 years ago. Just realized it. Thanks so much!

  4. #4
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6,953
    6719 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SCDigginWithAK View Post
    Thanks huntsman! Your such a great help! I bought this when I first started collecting 4 years ago. Just realized it. Thanks so much!
    It was my pleasure as Error and some Variety coins have been my passion for many, many years! While I got out of the hobby about 7 or 8 years ago and sold my' collections (or accumulations) due to disgust with Coin Dealers and eBay, I recently got interested in them again due to having a small business selling coins and collectibles at Flea Markets and sometimes at Gun Shows. While I once owned probably over 15,000 Error and Variety coins at one time, I doubt that I will ever accumulate or collect that many ever again! Error and Variety Coin Dealers and Collectors have their' own little cliche and it is very hard to get recognized into their fold. I was just getting to that point when the disgust overwhelmed me and I sold nearly my' entire collection! Just beware of this, don't sink money into such coins that you cannot afford to spend, learn all you can about Error and Variety coins and don't be afraid to show the Experts that you know your stuff. It was funny that the very day that I sold my' collection of Error and Variety coins, some VAM (Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar "Van Allen Mallis" Varieties) Experts took notice of my skill and expertise in Cherrypicking VAM's and wanted to purchase most of the VAM's that I had found and collected. Needless to say, they lost out on both as I had already promised to sell most of my' entire coin collection to Larry Briggs!


    Frank
    Last edited by huntsman53; Oct 07, 2013 at 11:44 AM.

  5. #5
    us
    Andrew

    Mar 2012
    South Carolina
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
    1,489
    355 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by huntsman53 View Post
    It was my pleasure as Error and some Variety coins have been my passion for many, many years! While I got out of the hobby about 7 or 8 years ago and sold my' collections (or accumulations) due to disgust with Coin Dealers and eBay, I recently got interested in them again due to having a small business selling coins and collectibles at Flea Markets and sometimes at Gun Shows. While I once owned probably over 15,000 Error and Variety coins at one time, I doubt that I will ever accumulate or collect that many ever again! Error and Variety Coin Dealers and Collectors have their' own little cliche and it is very hard to get recognized into their fold. I was just getting to that point when the disgust overwhelmed me and I sold nearly my' entire collection! Just beware of this, don't sink money into such coins that you cannot afford to spend, learn all you can about Error and Variety coins and don't be afraid to show the Experts that you know your stuff. It was funny that the very day that I sold my' collection of Error and Variety coins, some VAM (Morgan and Peace Silver Dollar "Van Allen Mallis" Varieties) Experts took notice of my skill and expertise in Cherrypicking VAM's and wanted to purchase most of the VAM's that I had found and collected. Needless to say, they lost out on both as I had already promised to sell most of my' entire coin collection to Larry Briggs! Frank
    Wow! That's amazing! I love the errors and varieties but I don't know much about them! What's the rarest error you ever had or what was your favorite? I hope I can learn from you! Any tips on collecting errors?

  6. #6
    us
    Andrew

    Mar 2012
    South Carolina
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
    1,489
    355 times
    Metal Detecting
    I just noticed there's something wrong here too. Is that part of the die clash?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-3162449325.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	580.9 KB 
ID:	877120



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-2527824600.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	507.6 KB 
ID:	877121



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image-668775909.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	465.3 KB 
ID:	877122

  7. #7
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6,953
    6719 times
    Quote Originally Posted by SCDigginWithAK View Post
    I just noticed there's something wrong here too. Is that part of the die clash?
    I really can't make out what it is too well! You might need to take the coin out of the 2x2 for pics. It could be a partial clash of a Letter, a delamination or die crack but really can't tell from the pics and expecially with the coin in the 2x2.


    Frank

  8. #8
    us
    Andrew

    Mar 2012
    South Carolina
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
    1,489
    355 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by huntsman53 View Post
    I really can't make out what it is too well! You might need to take the coin out of the 2x2 for pics. It could be a partial clash of a Letter, a delamination or die crack but really can't tell from the pics and expecially with the coin in the 2x2. Frank
    Ok will do! I've been meaning to put it in a new one anyways. It's odd. I'll take it out and put it under a magnifier.

  9. #9
    us
    Jun 2013
    East Tennessee
    6,953
    6719 times
    Quote Originally Posted by huntsman53 View Post
    The coin has a Die Clash from the Reverse and you are seeing parts of the Wreath from the Reverse showing from Miss Liberty's neck to her' forehead! The Die Clash could add a little extra value but if you can find and identify a Letter or Lettering from the Reverse that is clashed on the Obverse, then this would graduate from the Error category to Variety category and could be worth a pretty penny. Die clashed details or images on coins are fairly common but Die clashed lettering is much less common as the Mints strive to erase (grind out) their evidence from the Dies more so than clashed details or images!


    Frank
    I guess the most memorable were the following:

    A 1944-P "Pierfort (or Piefort) Cent" Lincoln Cent struck on a thick planchet which is a Pollock 2078 Variety. I purchased it in a bag of Wheat Cents and had about $0.05 in it and sold it on eBay for $135.

    A Wheat Cent that apparently kept sticking to one of the Dies and was triple struck with Brockage strikes in the process and it appeared that one strike was a flip-over strike followed by a brockage and one of the identifiable strikes was off-center. I had about $0.05 in this coin and I believe that I traded it to Mike Diamond (an Error Coin Expert) for a bunch of Error coins, so that Mike could study the coin.

    A 1998-P Washington Quarter which was missing part of the cladding which made Washington look like the Phantom of the Opera. I had $0.25 in this coin and sold it on eBay for $350.

    There were others but the above stand out the most in my' mind!


    Frank
    Last edited by huntsman53; Oct 07, 2013 at 01:15 PM.

 

 

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Large Cent Mint Error?
    By Mudflap333 in forum My Collections
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Aug 13, 2013, 07:44 PM
  2. Large Cent Mint Error?
    By Mudflap333 in forum Coins
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Aug 12, 2013, 08:25 PM
  3. 1827 Large Cent ...Error?
    By creeper71 in forum Coins
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: Oct 21, 2012, 08:04 PM
  4. large cent error
    By treasuredog in forum Coins
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Mar 18, 2009, 10:08 PM
  5. Large cent error ?
    By kieser sousa/rip in forum Coins
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: Feb 14, 2007, 06:52 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0