1917 Standing Liberty quarter found by my father in 1970 under a building

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This 1917-D standing Liberty quarter, was found under the old Plaza Hotel in Ft. Worth, along with a Barber half dollar, a few old bottles, etc. I inherited it when he passed away about 20 yrs ago. My brother got the Barber half. I have two of the old bottles, one a small whisky flask the other a patent medicine (embossed).
photos:
attachment.php

by the way, I love the border on this obverse, the dot and diamond border, don't think it has been on any other US coin?
attachment.php

the old hotel had a raised "post and beam" floor, and the coins had fallen thru the floor boards at some time, as the building was very old. My father was the construction guy on the building during the remodel.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice coin- I love the standing liberty qtr and they are hard to find in this nice of shape unless you want to spend a pretty penny :)

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Neat find, good shape. I found one on top the ground almost two years ago, but it was almost worn smooth. This and the Barber Quarter is on my bucket list to dig next. I just haven't found them yet, been getting a lot of Wheaties and a few silver Rosys only. Finding one is all I can think about.

The Dig Dig

Aug 25, 2013
Tampa, FL.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Whites E-Series (as my back up) Whites Surf Pro P.I. (for water) and a Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First silver coin I ever found was a 1918 standing liberty quarter. It's been my favorite coin ever since

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent looking coin for its age & type. I consider this type coin (stdg liberty) on the endangered species list . Nice find.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Coin!...I just met a guy the other day that had a similar story, he was working on the demo of the Courthouse and found a few silver coins , nothing as nice as this thou.

I really think that coin belongs back here in Ft Worth :laughing7:

OP
OP
texasvarmit

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am fairly sure my father cleaned it after he found it, he was not David Bowers, just a simple carpenter, and did not grasp the finer points of numismatics. And in reality the cleaning did not affect him, as he kept it his entire life, never sold it, so the cleaning didn't concern him. I will likely never sell it either. :)

Last edited:

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great coin. SLQ's are one of the prettiest coins ever.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread