Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello All.
Im far from being a coin expert, i just dabble in collecting American coins, and im trying to pretty much get at least ONE of each American Coin Minted.

Anyway...I recently aquired this 1858 Flying Eagle Cent, which is the first and only one i own.

MY question is, What do you think this would be graded as?..I did the basic Google Search and found the page that shows the difference from Good/Great/Uncicrulated.

I just wanted to know if this would be considered Excellent or Great condition...Please excuse my ignorance in the terminology.

Im mainly asking because i recently traded a few silver coins for this coins and a few other misc coins. And i want to see if i ..or He..under estimated the value.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Attachments

• Front Flying Eagle.png
    Front Flying Eagle.png
    382.4 KB · Views: 206
  • Back of Flying Eagle.png
    Back of Flying Eagle.png
    211.3 KB · Views: 180

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I would grade it around an EF 40 maybe EF 45 at its highest, EF stands for extremely fine. It has too much much wear on the breast to classify it as an about uncirculated (AU) condition. Damage to the rim on the reverse might knock it down a grade or so.

As far as value goes it would have a collector value of around $150. So I think you probably did fairly well. What exactly did you trade for it???

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would grade it around an EF 40 maybe EF 45 at its highest, EF stands for extremely fine. It has too much much wear on the breast to classify it as an about uncirculated (AU) condition. Damage to the rim on the reverse might knock it down a grade or so.

As far as value goes it would have a collector value of around $150. So I think you probably did fairly well. What exactly did you trade for it???

Hey Moff347...thanks for the reply. I dont really own any coins in this good of shape..and none this old.

I actually traded 2 Silver dollars, a silver half dollar, a silver quarter and a silver dime.

but in return i recieved this coin, (3) 3 Cent coins, all in great shape, a large cent and a Hard times token.

Im thinking i may need to send the guy i traded with another Silver dollar :dontknow:

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah you definitely made a killer deal. The only way you could loose is if the coin was cleaned. However, from looking at the pictures I don't see any pitting/scratching/rubs/gloss wear to signify that any cleaning was done. If you did not know already (DO NOT EVER CLEAN A COIN) soap and water is the furthest you ever want to go.

I would love to see some of the pics of the other coins you got. Try grading them yourself with that site and post up you grades. We will see how you do :thumbsup:

This is a very fun hobby if you give it a chance. I've been doing it for over 18 years since I was about 5 years old. Now my fiance coin roll hunts with me and goes to antique shops and coin shops. It is a fun past time. So enjoy it. ;)

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful coin- I love rhe flying eagle cent- you did well in the trade-
As far as giving the other guy more stuff if he was happy with the trade and didnt try to intice more from you then I woukd let it be- ya you probably came out on top but if you would have found out it was worth less than what you traded would you have asked for some of your coins back and more important do you think he would return some of your trade back-
I know you dont want to take advantage of someone but I always try to gage the person and if they are happy then I leave it- especially if I dont know up front the value of what im trading-just my opinion

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very beautiful coin! I have been trying to find an example as nice as this one to trade for some silver, etc. and I can't seem to luck into one. I am glad that you did!

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Hey Moff347...thanks for the reply. I dont really own any coins in this good of shape..and none this old.

I actually traded 2 Silver dollars, a silver half dollar, a silver quarter and a silver dime.

but in return i recieved this coin, (3) 3 Cent coins, all in great shape, a large cent and a Hard times token.

Im thinking i may need to send the guy i traded with another Silver dollar :dontknow:

I'm the guy he traded with. Im not versed in grading coins myself but figured it was a decent coin. It's very cool if the coin has a high value. In very happy with our trade, D-N-D was a good guy to desk with, (and you don't owe me anything). The silver I received will be going toward my kids future. All is good!

I have a few other coins, the next person just won't get such a great deal LOL

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm the guy he traded with. Im not versed in grading coins myself but figured it was a decent coin. It's very cool if the coin has a high value. In very happy with our trade, D-N-D was a good guy to desk with, (and you don't owe me anything). The silver I received will be going toward my kids future. All is good!

And in the long run your silver will most likely be more valuable :)

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey Paul..when we did our trade..i never would have expected that the penny would be worth that at all..i knew they were a little pricey..but not that pricey..and like i told you..i was really just wanting one for my coin collection..but as you mentioned that you are saving money for your kids..and i wouldnt feel right..so tomorrow im going to send you 2 more silver dollars...this is why i made this post..i wanted to make sure you got what you deserved..thank you again for everything..your good peoples..

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks XF45 to me without closer examination. It's hard to tell how serious the rim ding is without taking it out of the holder. Without the ring ding, it's about a $200 coin in XF45. With the ding......???

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks XF45 to me without closer examination. It's hard to tell how serious the rim ding is without taking it out of the holder. Without the ring ding, it's about a $200 coin in XF45. With the ding......???

HEy Cuda...Whats odd is, that isnt a ring ding...I know it looks like it ion the pic...but for some reason, it looks like it wasnt ground down or something (Which i know doesnt make sense) But its almost an Extra part that was part of the Rim, i dont knwo if that even makes sense..But it protrudes out a tiny bit, and there isnt any marks that show it to be damaged...I really dont knwo what to think about it.

PLus i noticed the Date is doubled...but i figured that was proablly more common back then

Attachments

• FLYING EAGLE DATE.png
    FLYING EAGLE DATE.png
    391.4 KB · Views: 133

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa.......didn't see that before. That's why I always say you need to make a full "hands-on" examination to verify condition and in this case, variety. That doubles the value being a DDO......assuming the same XF45 condition. Nice find!

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
WOWWWWW!!!! I did not notice that DDO before either. That definitely raises the value. You could at the minimum double the value to that coin. I would definitely send the additional silver dollars now. What a great find.

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOWWWWW!!!! I did not notice that DDO before either. That definitely raises the value. You could at the minimum double the value to that coin. I would definitely send the additional silver dollars now. What a great find.

Thanks for the input guys...and Yes...he is for sure getting more Silver from me

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Nice looking Flying Eagle, a solid EF example.........the date is "technically" doubled but it is called a re-cut date or a re-punched date........a double-die coin would have the entire image, motto, date, etc doubled whereas this only effects the date........

But that's not my real reason for chiming in...... doesn't anyone try to make a good trade to their benefit anymore??....:icon_scratch:.......you wouldn't go to a tag sale or a flea market, uncover a Picasso for $10 and then mail the seller an extra million bucks, would you??.......I'm not trying to sway your decision on whether or not to send him more silver (OK, maybe I am) but the difference is minimal here and both of you are already happy with your trades........and on the flip side, if next year the price of silver hits $100/oz. you don't expect him to send you some silver back, do you??........when does the trade officially end???

Again nice flying Eagle and I'm sure you traded some nice silver.....so....call it a day.

HH all!

Greg

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Im far from being a coin expert, i just dabble in collecting American coins, and im trying to pretty much get at least ONE of each American Coin Minted.

I actually have just that. Might I suggest you organize something like this....

1. current clad typeset
2. 1970's clad typeset including bicentennial quarter, half and dollar
3. 1950's silver typeset and the 1964 silver Kennedy half
4. 1930's (ish) typeset
5. Barber era typeset
6. seated liberty post civil war (motto) with 3 cent nickel and 5 cent shield nickel
7. seated liberty pre civil war (no motto) with 3 cent silvers
8. capped bust type set

stop here....anything before the capped bust era gets mighty expensive.

hold off on gold coins....collect those type sets when you have money you don't know what to do with....

consider also small bill typesets based on the color or the seal....(gold seal, red, blue, brown, lime green and green)...many have 1$, 5$, 10$, 20$, 50$ and 100$ varieties. Some include 2$ and others lack either higher or lower denominations.

then also you will need a presidential 1$ coin collection
...and a 25 cent state collection
...and a 25 cent state parks collection
...and a Native American 1$ collection

it is a fun hobby, there are a lot of variations of various coins that can be added to your typesets....consider also how you want to display them.

have fun

WheatbackDigger

Jul 8, 2005
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Yeah you definitely made a killer deal. The only way you could loose is if the coin was cleaned. However, from looking at the pictures I don't see any pitting/scratching/rubs/gloss wear to signify that any cleaning was done. If you did not know already (DO NOT EVER CLEAN A COIN) soap and water is the furthest you ever want to go.

I would love to see some of the pics of the other coins you got. Try grading them yourself with that site and post up you grades. We will see how you do :thumbsup:

This is a very fun hobby if you give it a chance. I've been doing it for over 18 years since I was about 5 years old. Now my fiance coin roll hunts with me and goes to antique shops and coin shops. It is a fun past time. So enjoy it. ;)

Hmmm, without knowing the dates/mintmark and conditions of the traded silver....its impossible to tell if this was a killer deal for either party. A 1932D Washington quarter in XF condition will take in $200+ alone. Plenty of semi key date silver dollars will bring in a good amount of money too. Without knowing more information, a blanket statement can't be made. He may have left alot a money on the table.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread