My 1885 V Nickel. Help with condition? Value?

USA

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My 1885 V Nickel. Help with condition? Value? UPDATED w/ GRADE

Hey folks,

In case you were interested, my coin FINALLY came back. It was graded F15 by PCGS pics below:

nickelFront.jpg nickelBack.jpg

Hi fellow T-Neters,

Long time lurker, first time poster in this section. I really appreciate and value your opinions, so I was wondering if I could get some opinions on a coin I just got. Looking through my dads collection, I didn't even know that this coin was rare until I looked it up. Apparently the 1885 V Nickel is pretty hard to come by.

I know they are only pictures, but I'd love to hear your best guess on the condition of this coin and a potential value. Also, I'm curious to know if you think I should send it in to get graded by PCGS.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

USA

NickelFront.jpg NickelBack.jpg

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you plan on selling it online, I'd slab it. Otherwise I wouldn't.

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is the coin really gold colored or is that just the picture making it seem that way? If this is a legit coin, it could be worth hundreds:

Liberty Nickel (1883-1913)

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
roughly around a few hundred bucks.

Best price is no eBay "Sold items". You need to be a member to see them, but it's actually what they sell for.

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Well this coin is a little tough to grade. The obverse is a solid F-15, and I would possibly push it to VF-20, the only thing keeping me from giving it a solid VF-20 is the lack of being able to read the I in Liberty. The reverse however is a different story. The reverse grades around a F-10 to F-12.

If I had to throw a grade on the overall coin I would have to give it a F-12 with a possibility to be priced at a F-15 due to the condition of the obverse.

Still a great coin. I'm still looking out for mine. One of these days I will run across one.

OP
OP
U

USA

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input everyone! Very helpful. The gold color is because of my crappy picture, so I apologize. I'm hoping to get to a coin shop soon so I will keep you posted.

Thanks again!

WhiteTornado

Jun 18, 2013
Baltimore/DC area
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input everyone! Very helpful. The gold color is because of my crappy picture, so I apologize. I'm hoping to get to a coin shop soon so I will keep you posted.

Thanks again!

Side story: when the Liberty Head Nickle first came out in 1883, it did not have the word CENTS on it, just the V as in Roman Numeral 5. Some enterprising hucksters would gold-plate the coin and pass them off as a new type of $5 gold coin. The Mint had to add the word CENTS to stop this practice.

Good luck on your coin and let us know if you do get it graded or at least a professional's assessment. :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
U

USA

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Updated with pics of graded coin.

moff347

Apr 8, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Glade u posted the results. Congratulations on the overall grade. Considering the faded area on the reverse i think that is a sold grade

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an awesome coin! It's on my want list. I actually have it's twin sister, a F15 1912S.

wagbert

Mar 29, 2008
If you are able to hang on to this coin, I would do just that. This economic downturn has hurt the price of collectibles. Even so, I feel like this is a $850-900
coin because it is a key, and a generally nice looking V nickel. Most of the common V nickels don't look this nice. The five cent coin got a real work-out back in the day.
wagbert

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Side story: when the Liberty Head Nickle first came out in 1883, it did not have the word CENTS on it, just the V as in Roman Numeral 5. Some enterprising hucksters would gold-plate the coin and pass them off as a new type of $5 gold coin. The Mint had to add the word CENTS to stop this practice. Good luck on your coin and let us know if you do get it graded or at least a professional's assessment. :icon_thumleft:

That's where the term "you're joshing me" came from. To the OP very nice coin!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread