My 1885 V Nickel. Help with condition? Value?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By USA
  • 1 Post By crhgymnast1

Thread: My 1885 V Nickel. Help with condition? Value?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    USA

Jun 2013
    11 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

My 1885 V Nickel. Help with condition? Value? UPDATED w/ GRADE

Hey folks,

In case you were interested, my coin FINALLY came back. It was graded F15 by PCGS pics below:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nickelFront.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	206.8 KB 
ID:	907996Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nickelBack.jpg 
Views:	137 
Size:	184.3 KB 
ID:	907998

Hi fellow T-Neters,

Long time lurker, first time poster in this section. I really appreciate and value your opinions, so I was wondering if I could get some opinions on a coin I just got. Looking through my dads collection, I didn't even know that this coin was rare until I looked it up. Apparently the 1885 V Nickel is pretty hard to come by.

I know they are only pictures, but I'd love to hear your best guess on the condition of this coin and a potential value. Also, I'm curious to know if you think I should send it in to get graded by PCGS.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

USA

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NickelFront.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	248.8 KB 
ID:	890629Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NickelBack.jpg 
Views:	187 
Size:	241.9 KB 
ID:	890628
    Last edited by USA; Dec 02, 2013 at 12:53 PM.

Jun 2013
    16 times
    I'd say around fine 12
    cudamark likes this.

Nov 2012
    Super-Skunksville x1000.
    1110 times
    C R H 'N
    the coins indope condition I'll say that much. But what I really came here to say is that you got yourself a good username dawg.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreasurePirate69 View Post
    Your logic is completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff of pa View Post
    This place is supposed to be Fun.

Charter Member
    us
    Mar 2011
    San Diego
    Equinox 800, Treasure Probe IV, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's GM3 V-sat. White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, 5X10 Joey, Steath 920ix and 720i, TRX, etc....
    8065 times
    Honorable Mentions (3)
    If you plan on selling it online, I'd slab it. Otherwise I wouldn't.

us
    Apr 2013
    Naples Florida
    4 different
    21 times
    Have a few coin dealers look at it....slabbing has its pro and cons.

us
    Jun 2013
    Baltimore/DC area
    Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
    452 times
    Is the coin really gold colored or is that just the picture making it seem that way? If this is a legit coin, it could be worth hundreds:

Liberty Nickel (1883-1913)

us
    May 2008
    Wisconsin
    Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
    1260 times
    roughly around a few hundred bucks.

Best price is no eBay "Sold items". You need to be a member to see them, but it's actually what they sell for.
    "A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything." Friedrich Nietzsche

"You ask where I live. I cannot tell you. I am a Voyageur, a Chicot, sir. I live everywhere. My grandfather was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. My father was a voyageur; he died while on a voyage. I will also die while en route, and another Chicot will take my place. Such is our course of life."

us
    Apr 2013
    100 times
    Well this coin is a little tough to grade. The obverse is a solid F-15, and I would possibly push it to VF-20, the only thing keeping me from giving it a solid VF-20 is the lack of being able to read the I in Liberty. The reverse however is a different story. The reverse grades around a F-10 to F-12.

If I had to throw a grade on the overall coin I would have to give it a F-12 with a possibility to be priced at a F-15 due to the condition of the obverse.

Still a great coin. I'm still looking out for mine. One of these days I will run across one.

USA

Jun 2013
    11 times
    Thanks for the input everyone! Very helpful. The gold color is because of my crappy picture, so I apologize. I'm hoping to get to a coin shop soon so I will keep you posted.

Thanks again!

us
    Jun 2013
    Baltimore/DC area
    Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola, Garrett Pro-pointer, Sampson T-handle Shovel, Lesche hand digger, Garrett and Gray Ghost Ultimate headphones
    452 times
    Quote Originally Posted by USA View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone! Very helpful. The gold color is because of my crappy picture, so I apologize. I'm hoping to get to a coin shop soon so I will keep you posted.

Thanks again!
    Side story: when the Liberty Head Nickle first came out in 1883, it did not have the word CENTS on it, just the V as in Roman Numeral 5. Some enterprising hucksters would gold-plate the coin and pass them off as a new type of $5 gold coin. The Mint had to add the word CENTS to stop this practice.

Good luck on your coin and let us know if you do get it graded or at least a professional's assessment.

USA

Jun 2013
    11 times
    Updated with pics of graded coin.

us
    Apr 2013
    100 times
    Glade u posted the results. Congratulations on the overall grade. Considering the faded area on the reverse i think that is a sold grade

us
    Apr 2011
    vegas
    1399 times
    That's an awesome coin! It's on my want list. I actually have it's twin sister, a F15 1912S.

Mar 2008
    371 times
    If you are able to hang on to this coin, I would do just that. This economic downturn has hurt the price of collectibles. Even so, I feel like this is a $850-900
    coin because it is a key, and a generally nice looking V nickel. Most of the common V nickels don't look this nice. The five cent coin got a real work-out back in the day.
    wagbert

us
    Andrew

Mar 2012
    South Carolina
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
    353 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteTornado View Post
    Side story: when the Liberty Head Nickle first came out in 1883, it did not have the word CENTS on it, just the V as in Roman Numeral 5. Some enterprising hucksters would gold-plate the coin and pass them off as a new type of $5 gold coin. The Mint had to add the word CENTS to stop this practice. Good luck on your coin and let us know if you do get it graded or at least a professional's assessment.
    That's where the term "you're joshing me" came from. To the OP very nice coin!

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsored Links