I found this 1910 Wheat Cent and the 0 looks weaker struck than the rest of the coin.

24k dreams

Oct 28, 2012

Attachments

• image-3021638073.jpg
    image-3021638073.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 170

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought that too but that means someone would have done that on purpose. There is no way just the 0 would wear off like that naturally but I am no expert.

You are most certainly correct wear like that will not happen in day to day wear from circulation, also note how the rim is entirely untouched. This phenomena is known as a strike through grease in which grease builds up in one particular section of the coin die and upon striking prevents that particular section from striking up fully. Yes this technically is a error but unfortunately it's so common it does not add value but don't get me wrong some of these coins with 75% or more of the design missing can fetch a premium.

OP
OP

24k dreams

Oct 28, 2012
You are most certainly correct wear like that will not happen in day to day wear from circulation, also note how the rim is entirely untouched. This phenomena is known as a strike through grease in which grease builds up in one particular section of the coin die and upon striking prevents that particular section from striking up fully. Yes this technically is a error but unfortunately it's so common it does not add value but don't get me wrong some of these coins with 75% or more of the design missing can fetch a premium.

Thank you so much. this is the answer I was looking for. My buddy wanted to buy it off me and I told him I didn't know the value and didn't want to rip him off. He is even more new to coin collecting than me and he thought this would add a lot of value to the coin. I told him I wasn't sure that coin was worthy more than a $1 or $2 tops.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread