Totally stumped. Need help with coin ID - winner will get a SILVER prize!!!

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
Just type ancient Russian coins in the search window.

kaiser613

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you mean Stock Photographs of Russian copper coin of 18 century isolated on a white... csp14278799 - Search Stock Photography, Photos, Images, and Photo Clip Art it cant be because the wings are all wrong, i have reviewd at least 1000 different desings of Russian coins dated from 1630-1920 and i can confidently say that this coin is not Russian, or Albanian , Austrian, i went through the first half of the german states and didn't find anything. at this point im thinking its going to be roman, Yugoslavian, English, or Scandinavian, that's very broad i know and doesn't really help, but what im really interested in is Montenegro, i did some research on the double headed heraldic eagle ( which i feel is a more likely explanation that fairies holding hands) and the only example i found that has upswept wings like on this piece in the heraldic coat of arms of Montenegro.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Joe, if they really do have that same coin you need to approach them as a stock photographer. Say you can take better pictures, send them some samples. Then you will be their coin picture takin guy and may possibly recieve some comission. Just a thought, but heck, if they are after things such as obscure russian coins, then balderdash, they dang sure wants sum more. send an email with a picture of your coin to them, and tell them you want. send a fake resume, pretend to be a professional photographer say you want paid via paypal. it can work joe, you can easily land an extra $20K a year off them if they are a succesful stock photography firm.

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool coin! Through the powers of GOOGLE... .I think I have a lead here. It definitely seems to be an Imperial Russian coin (Specifically a Denga). I just don't have enough information at my hand to match the exact coin, but if you look at the attached photo, you'll see that the design is pretty much the same. Two eagle heads, two legs and a shield on the breast of the bird.

What do you think?
Denga.jpg

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you tried making a rubbing with a pencil and paper? Sometimes you can get a little more detail. Not always, but might be worth a shot to see what the lettering is.

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Don! You are absolutely right, however, after looking at design after design, the shape and position of the Eagle Heads, along with the unique shape of the legs along with wing positions lends me to think it's GOT to be a variety of this coin.... just haven't found it yet. I am not familiar enough with the Russian Imperial coins. Did they have province coins or state coins like Great Britain had? Could it be a sub-variety like that?

Anyhow, I think that in the end, it's GOT to be some variety of this base design. It certainly seems to have a Netherlands / Russian / Belgium type of look and feel to the birds / shields design.

Just my two cents! :dontknow:

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
if you gently wipe a wet rag across it and give us a tighter picture you may be able to show more detail and we can work on the words on the obverse.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread