how to clean zinc coins

kaiser613

Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hello all, took a trip to the coin shop to raid my favorite foreign bin again. ( they always have Canadian cents and nickels) but today they didn't have any good Canadians in there, but someone had dumped their grandfathers german coin collection apparently because there were at least a hundred old german coins ranging from 1-50 pfennig in there dating from 1950 as far back as 1870, the majority of which were zinc Nazi coins, needless to say to walked of with two pounds of them, ( for $4 a pound cant be beat) I spread em all out a did an appraisal on them, there are mostly raw coins but id say there is 20-30 coins in 3x3's which I just checked a couple of them, they seem to be all key dates, im thinking that I could get at least $100 out of it all and probably squeeze $250+ out of it all depending on how long I want to wait to sell it all and how well I can clean those zinc Nazi's. they aren't that badly worn, very nice really but they have bad white oxidation on they, obscuring the design. ive been told that can be cleaned off with acetone and acid treatment, but before I go soaking them in vinegar I wanted to know what yall had to say, ill upload some pics later but I just put them away and don't feel like dragging them back out tonight for a photo op, but there are a LOT of them.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
zinc I hate zinc. cant clean none of dat without disolving some of the coin. I tried many things and the only thing that works is a tumbler. and even that will mess it up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions