SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey everybody! I've been trying to make a early America/territorial coin display. I know that the 13 colonies used George II coins and what not and of course the coppers like New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Connecticut. I know that the Spanish territory used reales. But what did the French use in their territory of the US? I have a Henri III douzain that have been known to have been used in the northern part of the territory and Canada. What did the lower part of the territory use (for example what is now Louisiana)? Below is a map that shows kinda what I mean by territories. Any help is greatly appreciated! image-2252371369.jpg

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Only Louisiana was developed to any extent, and they likely used traditional french currencies of the time, at least this is my assumption. As for the rest of "New France", they probably used racoon pelts, and barter for the most part, and would have used both british and spanish coinage (in addition to their french coins) for a trading medium if it would facilitate the transaction.

OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Only Louisiana was developed to any extent, and they likely used traditional french currencies of the time, at least this is my assumption. As for the rest of "New France", they probably used racoon pelts, and barter for the most part, and would have used both british and spanish coinage (in addition to their french coins) for a trading medium if it would facilitate the transaction.
Thank you that makes complete sense! Thanks!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
A variety of coins circulated in New France, including Spanish dollars and other Spanish and Spanish colonial reales.. In 1670, silver 5 and 15 sols were introduced for use in New France. In 1709, billon 30 denier coins were issued in the colony, followed by billon 15 denier in 1711. Copper 9 deniers followed in 1722. In 1738, billon 1 and 2 sol coins were introduced in France which also circulated in New France. These coins were also known as ½ and 1 sols marqués.
Don.....
Source: Wiki
Money also circulated in the form of 'card' money and promissory notes and, of course, as mentioned above--barter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread