1931sVERYcloseUP.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 129

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe if you soak the coin in Virgin Olive Oil for a week or two, pat dry, then leave it sitting out in the open for several months, it should re-tone somewhat to more of a brown color instead of the white-washed look.

Frank

OP
OP
oddcoins

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac ~ DetectorPro Pocket Uniprobe
LOL ~ no chemicals were used in the cleaning of this coin. Just warm water and a soft toothbrush. The coin is in such bad shape from being in the ground for decades!

Nice chemical attack on a rare coin! Cars and firearms are like metal detectors...not for everyone.

OP
OP
oddcoins

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
There seams to always be someone like this Prestigition Digger guy in these forums ~~ making rude assuming comments. Maybe the ground in New Jersey doesn't damage copper & nickel coins like it does in Oregon. Lucky you!

"Cars and firearms are like metal detectors...not for everyone." . . . wow, what a jerk

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Verdicare might help it out. I've used it on a couple of coppers with good results.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
oddcoins,
Ignore his comment. He's obviously forgotten or overlooked the rules of the Forum since he joined three months ago.
You may wish to ask him what is the definition of his user name word, Prestigition, since I can't find it in my dictionary.
Don...

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey man Great coins...I know it sounds dumb...But i used Bacon Grease once on IH, and it came out and still looks great...Mine too looked a little dry, and all i did was rinse it with hot water and soap.

Good luck!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LOL ~ no chemicals were used in the cleaning of this coin. Just warm water and a soft toothbrush. The coin is in such bad shape from being in the ground for decades!

correct !

because you dug it,
it would have got you an environmental damage grade at best

that is if at that point you could see it was a 31 S

now that you can see it is a 31 S someone will be willing to pay for it as a Filler in a collection,
and although
dealers would still cite Environmental Damage & cleaning
to rip you off on value.

2 or more Collectors bidding on it to fill a spot in their collection may not care.

Nice Find ! Good luck on the re-toning

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There seams to always be someone like this Prestigition Digger guy in these forums ~~ making rude assuming comments. Maybe the ground in New Jersey doesn't damage copper & nickel coins like it does in Oregon. Lucky you!

"Cars and firearms are like metal detectors...not for everyone." . . . wow, what a jerk

although rather harsh he's allowed his opinion on what cleaning does.

Some people forget what coins usually look like when pulled out the ground
& how dealers will rip you off over un-cleaned crust too.

and forget about invisible dates.

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
although rather harsh he's allowed his opinion on what cleaning does.

Some people forget what coins usually look like when pulled out the ground
& how dealers will rip you off over un-cleaned crust too.

and forget about invisible dates.

Dealers will rip you off over uncleaned crust? Huh?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dealers will rip you off over uncleaned crust? Huh?

That should be Obvious Ben, Not sure why I'm responding :tongue3:

If you take a 1909 s VDB to a dealer, and it has a lump of something covering Lincoln's face,
the dealer will say it's Environmentally damaged & going to cost big Bucks to have it
cleaned properly. Maybe offer $20.00

If before you take it to him You clean the Lump off then take it to him
he's going to say it's cleaned and Environmentally damaged and Maybe offer $20.00

Either way till he's none, He's going to make maybe $200 or more profit on it.

Of course pricess I quoted are just for Example since Speculation doesn't include
Grade of the Imaginary 1909 S vdb in my Example.

he may off 10 Cents or 100 dollars But still try to get over on you

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
That should be Obvious Ben, Not sure why I'm responding :tongue3:

If you take a 1909 s VDB to a dealer, and it has a lump of something covering Lincoln's face,
the dealer will say it's Environmentally damaged & going to cost big Bucks to have it
cleaned properly. Maybe offer $20.00

If before you take it to him You clean the Lump off then take it to him
he's going to say it's cleaned and Environmentally damaged and Maybe offer $20.00

Either way till he's none, He's going to make maybe $200 or more profit on it

Jeff,

I respectfully disagree.

Local dealers certainly do pull some shady stuff but go to any major coin show and try to sell the same coin. Same story, only less BS to deal with. Damage is damage is damage.

Some hobbyists do not care about condition but most do. The standards for coins and condition are pretty well defined over the years. Im not sure why you think otherwise?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jeff,

I respectfully disagree.

Local dealers certainly do pull some shady stuff but go to any major coin show and try to sell the same coin. Same story, only less BS to deal with. Damage is damage is damage.

Some hobbyists do not care about condition but most do. The standards for coins and condition are pretty well defined over the years. Im not sure why you think otherwise?

That's because most dealers at shows are coin dealers with shops in th towns they come from. All in the business of "buy low, sell high.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My opinion...

1st when digging any kind of copper/ bronze/alloy coins it's the luck of the draw as some soil cond,s treat the coins better or worse over time.
2ed in the op's original pics the cent looks like some cent's that I have over cleaned using a baking soda rub or 20% lemon juice and water , so I can see how some would think it was chem, cleaned ,tho I do believe that the op used only a t-brush & h2o.
and IMO if water and brushing made the coin look like that "white washed" [ tho the pics don't look that bad to me] the damage is done already by the ground action.
As for re-patina try to olive oil method suggested or even rebury if for a year or so.
I have several items that need re-patina-ing , Mainly on a spur that I got some bad or unreliable advice on.
Over the past years I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that some items are better off un-cleaned tho the temptation to do so is hard to beat.
So what ever happens ,I wish you luck , you still have a nice rare [to dig at least] cent that as I said "Looks good to me" ; Def, a keeper . Davers :thumbsup:

OP
OP
oddcoins

oddcoins

Bronze Member
Jun 21, 2006
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
WOW ~ thanks for all the replies and responces!

Good ideas!

MickeyMaguire

Apr 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, Ace 300, Ace 250, PP-AT, PP II, F-Pulse
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
oddcoins,
Ignore his comment. He's obviously forgotten or overlooked the rules of the Forum since he joined three months ago.
You may wish to ask him what is the definition of his user name word, Prestigition, since I can't find it in my dictionary.
Don...

magic... illusion, sleight-of-hand....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread