1800s World Currency, WWII Era Currency

Micheliente

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2012
1800's World Currency, WWII Era Currency

A friend of mine has asked me to research his currency collection given to him from his Uncle who was a lieutenant during WWII. He has bills from Nazi era and other coins and bills from VARIOUS countries, dating back to years 1700/1800's. I'm only familiar w/ US coins so I was hoping someone could tell me of certain coins/bills I should be looking out for while going through his collection?

Any help would be VERY much appreciated!

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Welcome to Treasure Net !!
You may wish to post a couple of coins, well focused and both sides.
Someone here will tell you of their rarity and value.
If I had a preference, start with your oldest coins.
Don.......

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Micheliente

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2012
Thanks for the response! I was hoping to know what to keep an eye out for while searching through all the coins, but I will for sure post some pics of some older coins!

Do you have any favorites of your own?

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know exactly what to look for since you gave us such a broad area, but put aside any that are silver or look hammered (the circumfrence is not ecactly round). I think the best way to give us an image of what you have is scan the whole lot at once (if you have a good scanner) and attatch it to your post. That will probably get you the most help.

You are lucky to get such an assortment of coins. I love looking through them and identifying them. Once, I bought a lot of old foreign coins and there were several dating back to the 1700's, including one silver. But the most interesting one was very worn and was not smoothly round. After some research, it turned out to be a hammered coin from 1580!

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Nazi-Era bills would be somewhat easier to help you with.

WW2 Online Catalog: German Paper Money

This website has loads of info that will help you identify your notes. The prices will probably not be applicable to your notes, so you will have to further research them, but that will be easier knowing what they are. Don't know how much help this website will be, but I hope for the best! :)

OP
OP
M

Micheliente

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2012
Thank you so much for the info! I would've submitted pics but there are so many coins I didn't know where to start!
Although, the coins were already put into its own envelope by country. I took pics of each envelope batch of coins if you care to look? I.e. Belgium, Vatican, Uruguay, Machado, Philippines, Argentina, Japan... Much more to list.
I'm excited (and honored) to be able to handle such history in my hands.. What would be your fav countries to look at?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Post them by country, perhaps in alpha order; that's a start.
Make it fun, not a chore. So if posting only one country a day is fun-and posting two is a chore--stay with posting one.
Well focused pics of both sides of each coin will get you a quick response.
Don...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread