Grading question?

soxfan401

Tenderfoot
Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently added this 1921 Morgan S into my collection and was wondering if it was worth sending this out to get graded. I am not sure what it would grade if I did send it in, and I am not sure if it would be worth it to grade when all is said and done. I would not be looking to sell this thing, just to confirm the authenticity and protect it.

Please let me know what you think and what grade it would get if I did send it out.

Thank you,

Attachments

• 1921 Morgan S back 2.jpg
    1921 Morgan S back 2.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 87
  • 1921 Morgan S front.jpg
    1921 Morgan S front.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 88

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
1921 P, D, S are all very common. Almost no premium except in high grades. Unfortunately, yours is far from being a high grade and you would be wasting your money by having it slabbed.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, yours would be unlikely to receive even an MS63 grade....more likely MS60-2. They're too common in that grade to have a premium worth the cost of slabbing it. You can protect the coin yourself by getting the proper holder for it.....which it looks like you may have already.

OP
OP
S

soxfan401

Tenderfoot
Mar 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the help everyone! I appreciate it. I guess I will just keep it in the airtite that I have it in already (sure beats the cling wrap that it has been in for the past 30 years).

Does anyone know how much it costs to get one graded?

Thanks again,
Rob

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all the help everyone! I appreciate it. I guess I will just keep it in the airtite that I have it in already (sure beats the cling wrap that it has been in for the past 30 years).

Thanks again,
Rob

After all fees, figure about $35.

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

A lot depends on how quick you want the turnaround to be. For instance the Early Bird has a 12-day turnaround(NGC) and each coin costs $30 with shipping fees tacked on. The Economy has a 21 day turnaround and costs $17 a coin with shipping fees, but you have to submit 5 coins at a time minimum for Economy. A lot of dealers will gather customer coins and wait until they have the requisite 5 for Economy instead of sending them in Early Bird.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread