Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Altering an inexpensive coin into a more expensive coin is the entire reason why the counterfeiters use inexpensive coins: a larger profit margin. With your coin, a 1944s in that condition is worth about $0.50, but a 1911s is worth about $60.00. An easy profit of $59.50 is attractive to many dishonest people, and they will alter the coin to get this dishonest profit.

There is no chance that this could be a misstrike. The error would have to have been in the die, thus meaning that there would be far more of them in existence. If yours is the only one like that, it was not mint-caused. A grease-filled die is possible, but the vertical lines of the numbers would be more faded and less pronounced as ones.

The even patina could have been caused be being underground. It doesn't take that long for all the minerals and chemicals in the ground to create/thicken an even patina. But since there seems to be no environmental damage, I would say that the coin was dropped/buried relatively recently, or that your soil does not corrode copper that easily. The person who potentially altered this coin could have used some kind of chemical to even out the patina/toning. My dad has this chemical and has used it to make cleaned cents look more attractive, like on my 1922 d. The smoothness I really have no good answer to. There is probably some tool that could be used to smoothen metal surfaces, but I wouldn't have any idea what that would be.

Thanks TypeCoin....Im glad I got this up on the Forum, because i was about to sell it. I think before I competly give up on it, I will take it to my LCS.

It just sucks, it was such a nice coin, But if i hear the Coin shop guy tell me the same thing...I guess I can toss it

What would you do if you KNOWINGLY had a counterfiet coin? Should I just put a huge "X" on the front?

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would you do if you KNOWINGLY had a counterfiet coin? Should I just put a huge "X" on the front?

You could probably ask that to the lcs. Or you could keep it so it doesn't fall in the wrong hands. Just make sure you clearly label that it is a counterfeit in case someone finds it and doesn't know that it is counterfeit.

A second opinion never hurts. I am hoping for the best.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't think you need to define it any more than "altered". Counterfeit implies that it's not valid govt-issued legal tender, which it still is. Nothing wrong with owning or spending it. But I'd hang on to it as a reference and research tool.

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello there

Nice find!! The only thing I would add is that does not look gradable to me. As you can see the small lines across the surface grading companies would consider this cleaned. I usually buy coins in this condition at 40 percent under grey sheet and sell them about 15 percent under grey sheet. These types can be a waiting game to sell as lots of collectors do not like to buy problem coins. If you are able to use online bidding sites theses tend to move a bit faster but the amount paid varies massively (you may want to add a reserve if you do). As far as its authenticity, some have brought up some good points but I would need to see it to verify. I am sure any local coin dealer would do that for you no problem.

Ooh there is a PCGS app for smart phones that has excellent pics for comparison you might look into this if you are interested. This app I believe is free.

Cheers - Koffee

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread