Does anyone know if you can get the green discoloration off this buff. Without hurtin

holeDiver

Dec 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ypytagub.jpg
qysyzeru.jpg

Sent from my LGMS769 using Tapatalk

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
A soaking in Acetone may remove the substance. Of course, it depends on how deep it has intruded into the surface as it appears to be a combination of Verdigris and corrosion! Try soaking the coin in Acetone for 1 hour at a time, remove it and see if the green substance comes off with a light scratching with your' fingernail or a toothpick. Repeat the 1 hour soakings as necessary. Due to the coin appearing to have a porous surface probably due to corrosion, I am not sure that removing the green substance will really matter.

Frank

OP
OP
holeDiver

holeDiver

Dec 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks FRANK I'll give it a try the coloring gives it a bit of character though what you think?

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unless that is green paint, I doubt anything is going to help. The acetone won't hurt it so give that a shot first. If it still isn't presentable, you might try electrolysis.....a little at a time....until you like the results. Frankly, trying most methods on a coin like that, usually makes them look worse.

OP
OP
holeDiver

holeDiver

Dec 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok cool thanks for that info I appreciate it

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless that is green paint, I doubt anything is going to help. The acetone won't hurt it so give that a shot first. If it still isn't presentable, you might try electrolysis.....a little at a time....until you like the results. Frankly, trying most methods on a coin like that, usually makes them look worse.

I agree 100% with the statement in Bold! I see so many folks soaking coins in vinegar and/or Hydrogen Peroxide to possibly make a Date visible. While the Date may become visible with either, the surface of the coin is pretty much being destroyed. Most, especially Copper coins, are stripped of most if not all toning/patina with most showing a raw pinkish Copper and pitting, both of which have destroyed any collectible value the coin may have had!

Frank

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A fibre pen is the only safe way to remove the green, electrolysis will ruin it.

SS

OP
OP
holeDiver

holeDiver

Dec 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is a fiber pen?

OP
OP
holeDiver

holeDiver

Dec 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fibre pen?

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fibre pen?

Available of eBay, you can also use a carbon pen. Interesting the Saxon Gold hoard found in England a few years back was cleaned by the British Museum, using Hawthorn spikes.

SS

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I have never used a Fibre Glass Cleaning Pen but might try it out! I soak dirty and crusty coins...especially Coppers in Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Mineral Oil, then remove the dirt, crustiness and any removeable corrosion with green Rose Thorns. Using Hawthorn spikes is probably about the same as using green Rose Thorns as they will not scratch Coppers and will remove a lot of stuff off of coins.

Frank

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have never used a Fibre Glass Cleaning Pen but might try it out! I soak dirty and crusty coins...especially Coppers in Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Mineral Oil, then remove the dirt, crustiness and any removeable corrosion with green Rose Thorns. Using Hawthorn spikes is probably about the same as using green Rose Thorns as they will not scratch Coppers and will remove a lot of stuff off of coins.

Frank
Yes olive oil also works, and stops the coin from drying out.

SS

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread