1888 Indian head cent error

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I'm sorry there's no picture yet but, I have an 1888 indian head cent that is missing the "ICA" in America and the only the top of the middle "8" is faintly visible in 1888. The other numbers are fine. Is this a common error? What could have caused it? And, is it worth anything? There are no scratches or any other evidence that would say that it was intentionally done. I figured that I would consult with the experts. Thanks for the help!

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My only guess without pictures is a strike-through error. They are common, but are more rare with older types. It may be worth more, but errors are not my specialty, and there are no pictures to derive value from. Hope this helps!

OP
OP
RBowtie97

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to make a correction. It's an 1886 not 1888. Thanks for the help!

Attachments

• image-2867698387.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 85
  • image-1091096159.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 111

cosmoscoins

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a Greaser,,,, Weak 8 and ICA,,without pics its more likely to be a Greaser then a strike thur,,,Greasers will have whole letters or parts gone from grease build up and the rest of the coin will looks fine,,,a strike thur would be pits,,,melt look to the coin along with many other details to a strike thur,,,your coin sounds like a Greaser they are cool and neat,,,people buy them,good eye,,Buy silver hoard copper and zinc,,,,Cosmos

OP
OP
RBowtie97

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That sounds like a perfect description. Just like you said, the rest of the coin is just fine. I wish I could post a pic but, for some reason it won't work on this site. Thanks alot for your input!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a Greaser,,,, Weak 8 and ICA,,without pics its more likely to be a Greaser then a strike thur,,,Greasers will have whole letters or parts gone from grease build up and the rest of the coin will looks fine,,,a strike thur would be pits,,,melt look to the coin along with many other details to a strike thur,,,your coin sounds like a Greaser they are cool and neat,,,people buy them,good eye,,Buy silver hoard copper and zinc,,,,Cosmos
Technically a greaser is a strike thru.

OP
OP
RBowtie97

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-2410208007.jpg

Heres what it looks like. Finally got a picture to post. Thanks for the responses!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread