Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just looked thru a few pages looking to see if i could find an answer.

a couple quick questions..

But how much does it actually cost to grade a coin?
Does it matter what it is that drives the price?

And HOW Do I go thru it?

I have a coin I want to get slabbed and graded, but dont want to either use a service that isnt reputable, nor do i want my coin to go missing.

Roger Mn.

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2007
Rochester,Minnesota
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go online with NGC or PCGS coin grading and do some research.
I went with PCGS a few years ago. You need one of their coin submission forms and I think you can download it or call them to get one. It should have the cost in the form . At the time I sent my 1918/17 Standing Liberty coin in to get graded and slabbed and I picked the $20.00 spot that wasn't a rush to get it back. There is a place for the cost to ship it back to you and the amount you are insuring it for.
So you ship it and pay postage and insurance along with a postal money order paying for return postage and insurance along with the cost of grading .
My coin was insured for $2000.00 shipped,postage + $20.00 grading and paid return shipping with insurance. It cost around $60.--to-- $80.00 Total.
I package it good so it wouldn't get damaged and it came back in a big box about a 1 ft. by 1 1/2 ft and the slabbed coin was floating around in there without any packing. I wasn't happy about that at all.
So if your coin is worth thousands and needs to be authenticated send it in . Resize_of_2009-05-13_002.JPG

Last edited:

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently researching to buy
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Based on what rodgerdodger posted---- and what I was recently told by an auctioneer---- I think that the 'rush' cost is a minimum of $40.
And if one wishes to have more done beyond simple grading (cleaning, restoration, etc), likely looking at additional costs....at least that is true with comics

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Diggin n Dumps,
You may wish to try this tact if you're willing to sell the coin:
1. You and your coin dealer agree on a certain grade and price-- if so graded. That price includes the dealer paying for the grading.
2. If the grading comes in less, you pay for the grading and the price is renegotiated.
3. If the grading comes in more than initially, mutually agreed, then he pays the grading and can still buy the coin at a pre-agreed price per grade.
I submitted a New Rochelle (1938) commem. at MS-64. It came back at MS-65. The dealer paid for the grading and the 'pre--agreed' price for the MS-65.
Don....

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If you go with PCGS, it is cheaper and you can submit coins to be graded yourself to PCGS without having to go to an Authorized Dealer by joining the PCGS' Collector's Club. There is a fee but there are advantages in becoming a Member and more advantages depending on the level of membership you pay for. While PCGS and NGC are both well respected in the Coin Grading Services industry, I believe that PCGS is the much better choice due to the cost to benefit ratio that you will get when having them certify and grade your' coins. Just make sure that you only send in coins for certification, grading and slabbing that are worth doing so (i.e. don't send in common date coins that have little value and still won't even if they are certified, graded and slabbed. You want to submit more valuable coins that will benefit greatly from being certfied, graded and slabbed, especially when it comes time to sell them!). Check out the links below for more information and you might want to visit every link that PCGS provides, so that you will be well informed.

PCGS.com - PCGS How To Submit

PCGS.com - PCGS Submission Center

Good luck!

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks fo rthe replies yall!

I had looked on the PCGS, and i was leary about paying for a membership, on top of cost to have it graded.

And thanks Don, I might actually try that and see what they say at the LCS

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a pcgs membership for a couple yrs. You get other perks like free submissions, quarterly grading specials, and entrance into the PCGS members-only coin shows in Vegas. (I live in Vegas so that is a bonus.) The shows are great! The dealers are world class - got to see and choose from some of the best coins out there. They serve lunch (good food), and they give free seminars where you can meet and chat with PCGS experts like David Hall and others. On top of it all, you get the most consistent, conservative grading in the industry by the best. Gotta go with PCGS!

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just looked thru a few pages looking to see if i could find an answer.

a couple quick questions..

But how much does it actually cost to grade a coin?
Does it matter what it is that drives the price?

And HOW Do I go thru it?

I have a coin I want to get slabbed and graded, but dont want to either use a service that isnt reputable, nor do i want my coin to go missing.

If you are sending in one coin. It will be around 40 dollars and another 24 dollars if you want a vam to be listed or any other type or research. This is what I usually pay for a coin from PCGS.

I do think it depends on what type of coin you have and what you want to accomplish with having it graded. Depending on your answer who you have grade your coin maybe different.

I use NGC if I think the coin may have eye appeal and I want to try and get it marked with a star.

I use PCGS when I have a higher end coin or a coin that has a large price difference from one grade to the next grade. I actually think NGC is about the same as PCGS but buyers like PCGS a bit more.

If I just want the coin to be verified as authentic I will use ANAC as they are a lot cheaper, about 10 dollars a coin. I use them a lot with copper or bronze coins I want to sell that are highly counterfeited. Just a bit of insight I have gleaned over the years, buyers want higher end coins to be graded by NGC or PCGS .

Cheers - Koffee

Koffee

Dec 9, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Goldbug2 x2 , Garrett 250, GTX 3030, CZ20, Excal, Minelab 2200, ATX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other thing, If you do a bit of business with a local coin store they may process this for you with minimal or no charge at all besides the coin grading expense. If they do this make sure you are present and look over their shoulder while they fill out the paper work so you will know exactly what to do if you want to send in another in the future.

Cheers - Koffee

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting