Wawa, on
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first one is a 1916 D, and the second one is a 1916 S. Don't know about the authenticity, but I'm sure there are many great resources out there that will help you. I would take a chance on it ONLY if there is a return option or a guarantee. If it is not explicitly stated, ask the seller. If he says no to either one, I would shy away.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Anyone calling either coin a 1916 D and then asking only $75 dollars for it is a situation I'd walk away from. Said differently, if you know enough about coins to represent it as a '16D, you know it's worth more--much more--than $75 if it can be ID as such.
Don....

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how can you tell that the second one is a 1916 S?

The shape is definately an S. There is a serif on the top right and the bottom left, and a hump on the top left and bottom right, characteristics of an S. A D would have serifs on the top left and bottom left, and one hump on the right. It is most definitely not a D.

1389197660b106c838e9202en.jpeg

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they're too worn to I.D. easily, they're too worn in my book. Too much could have happened in their past to the mint mark that might make one look like another. Subsequent wear obscures the old damage. I'd pass and get a better example if you need one for a collection.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
although the first one "could" be a D, I wouldn't lay more then Silver Value on it,
unless your an addicted gambler.

I'm Not even sure there is enough there to get an Expert to confirm and encase it as a D. which in that condition would be mandatory, for proof of value.

the second one is an obvious S to my eyes

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

uchihadesendent

Jun 22, 2013
Wawa, on
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for replying, yeah a lot of people are saying that the second one is a s for sure so I won't buy that one but the first one I sent off to heritage auctions and stacks bowers and see what they say about in the slight chance that it is real!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't buy any 16d unless it's been graded by a reputable company.

OP
OP
U

uchihadesendent

Jun 22, 2013
Wawa, on
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha thanks today I got the results from heritage auction and stacks bowers (don't buy it they said) so I'll listen to the experts on this one!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha thanks today I got the results from heritage auction and stacks bowers (don't buy it they said) so I'll listen to the experts on this one!
I'm glad THEY agree with US! :laughing7:

OP
OP
U

uchihadesendent

Jun 22, 2013
Wawa, on
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haha me too, best of all they offer free evaluations so it's like I have my own financial advisers lol!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Answers to these types of inquiries can be made without the necessity of only buying slabbed coins or getting a professional opinion.

It hurts to see that this is the prevailing attitude. With a little bit of research and knowledge, anyone can be an "expert" on anything. Just my 2 cents...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread