Toned Mercury Dime

johnomerta

Sep 29, 2013
North Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is my junior rookie coin collected question of the day. Is this dime naturally toned or suffering from some kind of chemical spill? This pic does not do the blue toning around the face justice at all. Really does none of the toning justice.

ForumRunner_20140111_091155.png

This pic might not get it.

Johnny Omerta J.R.C.C

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't see anything too out of the ordinary. Some coins will tone or tarnish more than other depending on how long they were in circulation and how they were stored since.

OP
OP
J

johnomerta

Sep 29, 2013
North Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
This picture sucks, honestly. There is a blue around the face and head that the camera wont pick up. But in the sun light it is really nice. Any general information about price and rarity is welcome. Not just on this coins but generally.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice original toning unfortunately it is not in a condition that would command a premium, toning is such a hard thing for some people to understand and is often times the source of novice collectors suffering huge losses upon resale. The only time toning actually raises the value of a coin is when the coin was desirable in the first place. As a collector of toned coins i can tell you that i will never recoup any over market value i have paid but fortunately i understood this principle long before putting up any money.

OP
OP
J

johnomerta

Sep 29, 2013
North Texas
Primary Interest:
Other
I got this dime at spot so it's all right what ever it is worth. I just thought it was cool looking. I'm knew at collecting so I haven't gotten into prices and on toned coins.

All comments are appreciated.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this dime at spot so it's all right what ever it is worth. I just thought it was cool looking. I'm knew at collecting so I haven't gotten into prices and on toned coins.

All comments are appreciated.
Look up coin toning on you tube. It's amazing what chemical's that can be bought at local feed store's, and a little electricity can do.

CoinHuntingDrew

Dec 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like it's been cleaned. The face of liberty is kind of scratched up a lot. I betcha there are really fine scratches if you get a good macro image of it.

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The condition of the coin is suspect, but the toning is called album toning. It's worth the spot you paid for it and that's what matters. I don't know why certain people think these coins are worth $20 or more, I just sold 201 Mercury Dimes for $321 and most of them were much nicer than this coin. I have been dealing in coins all my life and just because a coin is old doesn't mean it's valuable. A 1943 Mercury Dime in this condition is common and worth about $1.50 to $2.00, so I would like for the poster that claims it's worth $20-$45 dollar go to battle with me on coin values.

Why be silent after posting such a claim, you're not the first to do this, and you couldn't be more wrong.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Now, now, no need for stereotyping.

look here,
ca.png

A. He has his location set to canada, albeit an english speaking region,. B. He declares himself a noob (He isn't even a noob in my book!). Now I've delt with my fair share of French Canadians in this life, and I bet dollars for donuts, I bet EVERYTHING that he is infact a french canadian.

uchihadesendent

Jun 22, 2013
Wawa, on
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For a VF 1943 Merc? How many would you like to buy? :laughing7: I'll sell them to you for only $20 ea.!
okay I made a mistake, I'm not afraid to admit I'm wrong

contact him - he would probally sell it for around $35.00 U.S. maybe even a little less.
no would sell if for 20 bucks because it's toned

he's a french canadian, he cant help it
no I'm not french canadian

Now, now, no need for stereotyping.
thanks

The condition of the coin is suspect, but the toning is called album toning. It's worth the spot you paid for it and that's what matters. I don't know why certain people think these coins are worth $20 or more, I just sold 201 Mercury Dimes for $321 and most of them were much nicer than this coin. I have been dealing in coins all my life and just because a coin is old doesn't mean it's valuable. A 1943 Mercury Dime in this condition is common and worth about $1.50 to $2.00, so I would like for the poster that claims it's worth $20-$45 dollar go to battle with me on coin values.

Why be silent after posting such a claim, you're not the first to do this, and you couldn't be more wrong.

why do I think this coin is worth what it is? Simply because it's toned and I accept the coin value battle with you. The reason I'm silent is not because I'm embarrassed that I'm wrong it's because I have a JOB and my world doesn't revolve around turning people into laughing stocks on forums and trying to degrade me like that which only shows how insecure you really are by posting this and trying to get people's approval like that!

Am I wrong? yes
Am I afraid to admit it? no

those who admit their mistakes grow into successful people, which is what I'll strive for!

and for you specifically I will post this

I was wrong about the value of the coin

look here,
ca.png

A. He has his location set to canada, albeit an english speaking region,. B. He declares himself a noob (He isn't even a noob in my book!). Now I've delt with my fair share of French Canadians in this life, and I bet dollars for donuts, I bet EVERYTHING that he is infact a french canadian.

no actually I Canadian European

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Get used to it. He and others accuse me of attacking people on the coin roll hunting forum and then do the same thing here. 50, take you nationality hating self back there and quit trying to incite people to attack other posters. He said he was wrong so drop it. No you just keep attacking. You think you're funny but you're really not. I don't know what's with the mods lately, but they are letting you and others down other members. This didn't happen with previous owners. I'm just sayin.

nathanp24

Jan 19, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd say its chemically toned because of its flaking . It's only worth spot price which is about $1.50.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread