Continental Currency 1776

tfalnp

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys,

This is my first post here on Treasure Net. After the passing of my grandfather I received his rather large coin collection. Out of interest I am checking to see the authenticity of some of his coins, and the Continental "Curency" coin caught my attention. I know little to nothing about this coin other than what I've quickly internet searched. If any of you have any info regarding authenticity, I would appreciate it greatly. Thanks! -Tim

imgur: the simple image sharer

OP
OP
T

tfalnp

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the quick reply!

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry, but it's a cheap copy. It appears to be the ones that were sold in a cardboard display with other copies of colonial coins. There were others that were sold by themselves. I've seen dozens over the years and have also seen and handled the real ones. I see these on Ebay all the time, sometimes with a disclaimer saying "geeze, I don't know nothin about coins and I don't know if this is real and if you buy it there is no return".
Donald A Mituzas
Former contributor to The Guide Book of United States Coins, The Redbook.

OP
OP
T

tfalnp

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank You, I appreciate your help, I am not looking to sell the coin just inquiring as to its authenticity.

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They used to sell these in the gift shops of historical places like battlefields. This one is obviously before the hobby protection act.

Groovedymond

May 23, 2006
Salem, NH
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter - QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have one of those too. Does your coin have the word BECKER stamped on the rim edge of the coin? That was a fairly popular copy that came out. The Becker series copied many of the early coins (such as the Pine Tree Shilling and more).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread