G

geturdug

Dec 17, 2013
foothills nc
Detector(s) used
v3i coinmaster 6000/d series 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like i said, i am new here but i will try and see if i can get you and image of both sides together

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were only special mint sets issued in 1965. Now a crazy question. Do you mean the design is rotated or just the coin. Sorry, had to ask.

OP
OP
G

geturdug

Dec 17, 2013
foothills nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were only special mint sets issued in 1965. Now a crazy question. Do you mean the design is rotated or just the coin. Sorry, had to ask.
The coin is rotated..if I can I will send a pix..If you take and hold the coin and flip it over towards you and then the other side is up side down,now if you take a regular coin and flip it over the back side is right side up,also when i look at the edge of the half dollar i cannot see any copper in it,i can see the copper layer in the quarter though.Did the make any 90% silver in 1965?

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new here and this is my first post and i hope i get it right..I have a 1965-S.S. mint set still in the plastice. The Kennedy Half is rotated almost 180 deg.Can anyone tell me the value of this set.I know it is worth more to leave it in the plastice as a set.Thanks
Post some picture's, and people here will be able to help you.

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin is rotated..if I can I will send a pix..If you take and hold the coin and flip it over towards you and then the other side is up side down,now if you take a regular coin and flip it over the back side is right side up,also when i look at the edge of the half dollar i cannot see any copper in it,i can see the copper layer in the quarter though.Did the make any 90% silver in 1965?

Are you saying the coin has medal orientation (where both side face the same direction)? If so, that could be worth some big bucks. The half dollars, and only the half dollars, were 40% silver in 1965. Everything else was copper-nickel clad.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If you are saying that the coin is rotated within the Mint packaging 180 degrees from what the other coins in the set are, then no, it gives no additional value to the Mint set other than market value. Now, if the Reverse of the Kennedy Half is rotated 180 degrees from the striking on the Obverse, then yes, it gives a lot of additional value to the Mint set well above and beyond the market value of the set.

Frank

OP
OP
G

geturdug

Dec 17, 2013
foothills nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is almost 180 degrees from the striking on the Obverse
If you are saying that the coin is rotated within the Mint packaging 180 degrees from what the other coins in the set are, then no, it gives no additional value to the Mint set other than market value. Now, if the Reverse of the Kennedy Half is rotated 180 degrees from the striking on the Obverse, then yes, it gives a lot of additional value to the Mint set well above and beyond the market value of the set.

Frank

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No mint mark for 1965 Half Dollars and they're all clad in 40% silver, but we need images of this coin, please.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It is almost 180 degrees from the striking on the Obverse

Considering this, then the Kennedy Half Dollar could fetch several hundreds of dollars at auction. It is hard to say what the Mint Set could fetch if the coin is left intact in the set but probably about the same amount as the individual coin. Having the coin or the whole set certified and graded intact would surely raise the value of the Mint Set to a much higher level.

Frank

OP
OP
G

geturdug

Dec 17, 2013
foothills nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20140116_231611.jpg 20140117_221634.jpg
I keep checking this thread hoping to see a picture of this.

OP
OP
G

geturdug

Dec 17, 2013
foothills nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep checking this thread hoping to see a picture of this.
i think these two are better to see the difference,look at the penny and half on each pic and see the difference on which way heads and tails are positioned 20140117_221600.jpg

OP
OP
G

geturdug

Dec 17, 2013
foothills nc
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you will notice the penny and dime are still upright where as the half is up side down when they are flipped

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread