enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry Joe, but he had a valid point. Don't ask how to clean something without understanding that more info is needed unless you want vague answers. He stated why he needed that info and you got offended for some reason. Then you started the attack like you always accuse others of doing. You keep telling others to have thick skin, yet look at you. This isn't an attack. It's more to try to get you to take a step back and practice what you preach.
HH
enamel7

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver searcher - im done if you are....

:occasion14:
I'm not upset with any one Joe, keep asking questions that's how we all learn. Pictures if you can when asking about cleaning, then we can all see if or what needs removing, you might be surprised I have a few tricks up my sleeve. 8-)

SS

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enamel - Im shocked you didnt run to my defense (end sarcasm). My argument with silver searcher is over, im not going to let you rehash it or bait me into a new one.

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gentlemen I will ask only once, please stop the insults!..... It violates our rules and all here know that.

I have already previously posted a warning thread on this.....

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Last edited:

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know what will become of the coins that I 'cleaned' the last couple of days. I tried a lot of things with little or no success. I used to mix a little ammonia in water and drop the coins in it for a while. It helped, but not enough. In the past I tried rubbing Vaseline on them, olive oil, baby oil, mineral oil, and several things that I don't remember. Couple of days ago I used some WD-40 to clean something sticky from my detector handle. Hmm, would it? I poured just enough WD-40 into to a cup to cover a handful of nickels and pennies. I watched them for several hours, then washed them with liquid handsoap and water. Some of them looked a lot better with no discoloration. The WD-40 turned green. Some of these coins had been stuck back in a pouch for over 10 years and were very hard-crusted. I put the worst ones back in the WD-40 and left them for a day and night. It certainly helped them. Some of the ones that had the green on them actually came clean! Some of the green ones need more attention; but I don't have anymore liquid WD-40 here. I'll get some more in a day or two and try the worst ones again. I don't know if the spray cans would work or not since it evaporates so quickly. I have about a half gallon left from 'work days'. It's over 10 years old, but seems to be ok. I have kept the can cap screwed on tightly. I've no idea how much a gallon costs now. It used to be about $12.
Has anyone tried this before? What results did you have? If no one knows of any damage that the coins might be receiving, I'll keep trying this. I don't know if the coins will later turn color or not. I don't think so, because I've washed them in soapy water and dried them before wrapping them in a clean rag. I'll keep you posted.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't waste valuable WD-40 on cleaning clad or valueless coins. Just doesn't make economic sense to me. If you can't even tell date or type, a peroxide bath and/or electrolysis until you can tell. More than that and you might ruin any value it has.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't know what will become of the coins that I 'cleaned' the last couple of days. Couple of days ago I used some WD-40 to clean something sticky from my detector handle. Hmm, would it? I poured just enough WD-40 into to a cup to cover a handful of nickels and pennies. I watched them for several hours, then washed them with liquid handsoap and water. Some of them looked a lot better with no discoloration. The WD-40 turned green. Some of these coins had been stuck back in a pouch for over 10 years and were very hard-crusted. I put the worst ones back in the WD-40 and left them for a day and night. It certainly helped them. Some of the ones that had the green on them actually came clean! Some of the green ones need more attention; but I don't have anymore liquid WD-40 here. I'll get some more in a day or two and try the worst ones again. ....
Has anyone tried this before? What results did you have? If no one knows of any damage that the coins might be receiving, I'll keep trying this. I don't know if the coins will later turn color or not. I don't think so, because I've washed them in soapy water and dried them before wrapping them in a clean rag. I'll keep you posted.

Update: I put the coins that had a lot of green and black into some WD-40 again. After about 20 hours, the WD-40 didn't turn greenish like before. Also, it didn't help clean the coins any more. I guess what came off the first time was all that WD-40 could loosen. At least the coins look the same color as when I put them in the WD-40; so it appears that it doesn't hurt the coins. After washing them in mild and water, they weren't greasy and looked ok. I remember forgetting some coins several years ago. I put them in an ammonia and water solution in a plastic glass and put them in a 'safe' place. I forgot about them for several WEEKS! They were a bright pink when I found them. At least they weren't valuable!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread