Coin cleaning.....

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Through various means I have acquired a stash of coins that are so crusted over I cant even tell what they are. Some are US many are foreign. Some may be silver, some are clad......its a real mixed bag.

So what to do with them......

After much research I am thinking I will buy myself a Harbor Freight rock tumbler and give that a go.

Some of these coins may have some value - but at this point are indistinguishable.

Thoughts - ideas?

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If ya cant even tell then a tumblin they should go-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no idea.... some of the coins sat in a basement for an extended period of time.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think the rock tumbler is the best bet....I use them to clean my clad and wheats. I dont use ANY chemicals, Just baking soda and warm water with a shot of vegtable oil. You can check them every hour or so and tell how its working....JMO

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggin - what do you use other than the baking soda, aquarium rocks? seems to be popular.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walnut shells works pretty good and is easier on the coins compared to aquarium gravel. You might also consider electrolysis.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggin - what do you use other than the baking soda, aquarium rocks? seems to be popular.[/QUOTE
I used to do that, but it was a pain to clean seperate the gravel from the coins. Then I did it with just baking soda and a little oil, and they came out looking the same.
The only reason i use Oil is to prevent the metal pieces on my tumbler from corroding. Ive had it for 3 years and its looks brand new still.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you want to destroy them right from the start this thread makes sense. Why not start with posting a picture? Green corrosion on silver? There's still more questions than answers here, but everyone is ready to go nuclear option.

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't tumble coins. But, I have found that baby oil works wonders. It soaks right in and helps loosen up crust that then comes off. You might give that a try.

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you want to destroy them right from the start this thread makes sense. Why not start with posting a picture? Green corrosion on silver? There's still more questions than answers here, but everyone is ready to go nuclear option.

There are green crusted coins, there are brown crusted coins, and there are black crusted coin and a few in-between. All different shapes and sizes. Thats all the info I have.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't tumble coins. But, I have found that baby oil works wonders. It soaks right in and helps loosen up crust that then comes off. You might give that a try.

I like this idea. I bought the tumbler and am giving it a test with a handful of the worst coins. I have a ton more and I think I will give this a try as well.

hubcap76

Jun 27, 2013
Treasure Coast, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Xs 2a pro, Excalibur ll, Explorer II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't mix pennies or the like with silver in color currency, will mix the copper hue onto other coins, I just use some dawn and water with plastic pellets as filler, but I also tumble rocks for fun so the plastic filler is for that.

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
More than likely
- Green Crust is copper
- Black Crust is silver
- Brown is earth/dirt/clay, etc.

Remember, coins lose value as their condition worsens which can be hastened by tumbling.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow...I didnt relize how many people collect there Modern Clad here....Cuddos to ya'll....I tumble Mine, dont give a shii what it looks like..drop it at the bank...Get it deposited in my account....Done Deal
Its not like im tumbling my finds or good coins.

Seems like some people tend to overthink the process of removing dirt from a coin to deposit to the bank

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Remember, coins lose value as their condition worsens which can be hastened by tumbling."

Slow down there partner - you mean the ms65 1877 Indian Head (red) I just threw in the tumbler wont be worth the same in basal state?

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do. The oil permeates all things porous more so than water and soap will. For some reason, the hardest of stuck crust wipes away with a few applications.

Although, I just save my findings. Never deposited any of it. Some coins are not worth cleaning. I found a bunch of zinc pennies that were just trashed and unreadable. Heck with cleaning something that no longer has a face or date. LOL.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Remember, coins lose value as their condition worsens which can be hastened by tumbling."

Slow down there partner - you mean the ms65 1877 Indian Head (red) I just threw in the tumbler wont be worth the same in basal state?

Hey joe, Just to be clear, I was ONLY talking about Clad and coppers pennies...Of course I wouldnt toast a older or anything.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread