Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You totally side stepped the question. Is this a customary practice? I'll answer it - NO. How can you not see cause and effect here? You like to play the role as devil's advocate quite regularly, but this time you aren't thinking it through.

Some people love those TV coin shows too, so people are entitled to their opinion after all its their money.......doesn't mean those sellers arent ripping them off left and right.

Not Devil's advocate at all, it's my opinion of on this topic. I'm not going to to take a side on something just to be on the other side, that's ridiculous.

How much was the item? You never said if the $50 included the cost, only mentioned it was $12 for shipping. And to answer the question of course it's not normal to give someone $38 dollars if that's what you saying is happening, but even so why does it make it bad? Is everything that is not normal bad? Heck, you stand to gain so why are you making such a big deal, and saying this seller is bad. It sounds like it worked out well for you and if only the rest of us could be so lucky on things we purchase that we're not overly excited about.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many Ebay sellers (like the ones above) take honest pictures and are honest in their descriptions. However, some aren't.

How do you know it's being dishonest. Many people take horrible pictures, because they just suck at it, and is that being dishonest?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And there's coins and there's coins. Selling a $10 Indian Head, a $500 Morgan, and a $10,000 flowing hair large cent carry different expectations.

And if you're spending $500 - $10,000 you should know a little about what you're buying, and most do.... so why is his feedback so good! You basically call him a fraud, yet thousands of others don't get it. How are they missing all this?

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know it's being dishonest. Many people take horrible pictures, because they just suck at it, and is that being dishonest?

Take a look at other auctions past/present and its CLEAR as day.

Im quoting Coinhelp here....

"It's not about a disagreement on a coin's grade, but about selling problem coins as if they don't have problems. I speak from experience when I say that there's no controversy among honest coins dealers or experts on harshly cleaned coins, a point or two in grading YES, but not on a coin that's been polished, scratched or had the entire original mint layer removed from cleaning, then edit or use lighting to hide the facts in your images."

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take a look at other auctions past/present and its CLEAR as day.

Im quoting Coinhelp here....

"It's not about a disagreement on a coin's grade, but about selling problem coins as if they don't have problems. I speak from experience when I say that there's no controversy among honest coins dealers or experts on harshly cleaned coins, a point or two in grading YES, but not on a coin that's been polished, scratched or had the entire original mint layer removed from cleaning, then edit or use lighting to hide the facts in your images."

harshly cleaned coins, a point or two in grading YES, but not on a coin that's been polished, scratched or had the entire original mint layer removed from cleaning, then edit or use lighting to hide the facts in your images...Hence why you should examine in hand , rather than buy from pictures, especially if your willing to pay $1000 for a coin.

Last edited:

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I previously bought a coin from hubby on ebay for $710. They said it was ms-65 and in the picture (after it was brought to my attention when i recievec the coin) all of the abrasions and imperfections where made unnoticible because of the overuse of light in some areas. It seems as if he spends a lot of time editing his pictures. I also filed a complaint on ebay and his arguement against me was the fact that is like size 10 font he wrote: "All coins are grading to someone's own opinion. Your opinion might be different than theirs (fake grading company) blah blah blah..." also most coins he sells go for hundreds of dollars. You might be able to make an okay living doing things the way he does. Unhonest though.

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Billonaire - sorry to hear about that. Sounds like the coin you received didnt nearly match the one photographed. So why, in your opinion, is this guys feedback so good?

billionaire

Sep 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He buys it from people because like you said he paid you $50 and then he sent me $30+ in coins.

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently researching to buy
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The point I am trying to make here is if anyone has ever seen "Revised Feedback" before. I have been on Ebay a long time and this was the first time I had ever seen it.

Yep, seen several. (And I just go ahead and count them as I would a "Negative" when considering whether or not to bid on that Seller's item.)

I have been asked more than once to revise Feedback that I have left for disreputable Sellers, have even had little 'bribes' offered to do so..... Nope!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, seen several. (And I just go ahead and count them as I would a "Negative" when considering whether or not to bid on that Seller's item.)

I have been asked more than once to revise Feedback that I have left for disreputable Sellers, have even had little 'bribes' offered to do so..... Nope!

I definitely would not count revised as negatives because I know every negative I have received in the last 5 years was from completely irrational people who had no common sense, or they were just plain nuts. The few times where I screwed up, so would have had to own a neg., one wasn't left because the buyer was ok with how I resolved the issue. Seeing revised feedback is a positive for a buyer because it tells you if something goes wrong the seller seems to be a person who will work things out.

BTW... there's many people on ebay who take bad or very bright pictures and cost their self money! I know as I was one of them from back when I started not realizing the old monitor I was using was much darker than a properly working one. I sold like that for a couple of years thinking my pics were great, as I took a lot of time to try and make them as good as possible, so it was quite a shock to check another computer one day and see how terrible all my listings looked. The first thing when I got home was to buy a new monitor.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread