shye7493

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 705 (gold pack)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Is there any value to something like this ? It weights 5 grams. Although the copper content is 75% I have never seen a copper nickel . I added a normal nickel for color comparison

IMG_4171.JPG
IMG_4169.JPG IMG_4172.JPG

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like someone messed around with it.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A possibility could be it was in a rock tumbler with copper coins. That will give it that appearance.

OP
OP
S

shye7493

Tenderfoot
Aug 12, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 705 (gold pack)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My old lady got it from the register at work, I think I will burn another coin and see what happens. I have quite a few "P" minted nickels but the copper one is "D" I know there shouldn't be a difference but I will try heating a coin from the same mint if I can find one. After that the next step I guess would be to clean the coin but I wont do it unless I have any results from heating it up.

I did find a few places explaining how the copper can bleed through but all the pics show a very dark silver color with flakes of copper shedding off, this appears to be solid copper. Because of the weight I would still assume the copper is at 75%.

So far I guess you could call it a "commonly rare" coin

jasper62

Feb 8, 2009
Georgia
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer 202 / garrett ace 250
So far I guess you could call it a "commonly rare" coin
Now that's a contradiction in itself. It's an environmentally damaged coin. Without the original Mint luster a "TPG" third party grader considers it a damaged coin

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what Mine looks like coming out of the tumbler with my other dug coins..whats funny is sometimes i get "Dug" coins in my change and just shake my head..lol

Jwcoins

Jan 8, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I get back home, I'll send a better one. It looked like a big penny. Then realized it was a nickel. Not sure if it's copper ,but it looks like it.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You came to the right place, your nickel has environmental damage. That is what they look like when they come out of the ground when metal detecting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread