Coin Book(HELP)

shen13

Nov 11, 2013
N.C.
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..... Fisher F2 ( HF Detector(planning on modding it)
AT PRO and 2 Tesoro Compadres...
2 Pro Pointers
Lesche Wilcox Fiskar's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am posting up a question for members on the best coin book to purchase..I have read on the red and blue book somewhat,..what i am really looking for is a book that gives details on us coins and years..ect.....not so much interested in the value in coins(collectors) as much as the history and info on our american coins....any help will be appreciated......

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That being your criteria, the red book will serve you well.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The "North American Coins and Prices" is a decent book to have too, especially if, like me, you find Canadian and Mexican coins.

DixieLandMan

Sep 18, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 202, White's MXT, Fisher CZ-21
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the red book and vote for that one.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with everyone about the Redbook but you might want to get it in the "Limited" Large Print Edition! The Large Print Edition is so much easier to read about and view coins. After that, then I would say your next purchase should be the "ANA Grading Standards For U.S. Coins - 6th Edition" to learn the finer points of coin grading. There are many books on every Series and Denomination of coins minted in the U.S. including many books on Varieties and Errors some of which can also be Series and Denomination specific. These can cost you into the thousands of dollars on the initial purchase and many hundreds of dollars to renew to the newer/revised copies every few years. You really have no big need for any of these other books unless you become a serious Collector/Dealer in coins. Also, there is a lot of information to be found online, so if you have questions on a specific coin, I would advise to start there!

Frank

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
RED BOOK by all means. The first 20 or so pages are great reading, especially for history of coinage beginnings. I recommend it for all interested in coins.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread