Rainbow or other toning....

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm one of them. I don't like the "Monster Toned" Morgan Dollars in which there is a whole bunch of crazy toning, but I do like light, concentric, and symmetrical toning (for some reason I have an obsession with symmetry). I shy away from paying any premium otherwise. I also like bright silver coins with no toning at all.

This is one of my coins that I think has attractive toning:
image.jpg image.jpg

TreasurePirate69

Jan 20, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like excessive toning of any kind and will never pay more for toning. A very light concentric toning on a coin is fine with me. The one TypeCoin shows above has a bit more toning than I would normally like but I agree that it is still an attractive coin if the price is the same as a non-toned coin.

What I like in coins has changed over the years so maybe some day I will develop a taste for toning. Maybe toning is like beer... it may take a while to develop a taste for it but once you do you can't understand why it took so long.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm not real crazy about toning either.

I like some of it (Like I like the ones coinguy*matthew has posted on here and some of the ones I've seen bigscores post as well with Morgans) but over all I don't really care for toned coins.

Just personal preference though. :thumbsup:

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So how are they toned? Heat treated or ?
Heat treatment would be considered artificial toning, and it isn't as attractive either. Most natural toning comes from storing coins in sulfur rich environments for extended periods of time. For example, the Morgan I posted above was stored in a manila envelope for at least 15 years. It was a common method of coin storage in the early to mid 1900's.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think what most people never realize is that a coin older than 50 years old that does not have some form of toning has been dipped. Dipping a coin is a terrible practice that is accepted in the coin community for whatever reason but has been proven to strip the top layer of metal and some detail. I consider these coins details coins and refuse to buy them.

Here is some food for thought an excellent article from Coinweek.....

II. Harm done by Dipping

Since dipping removes metal, toning, and some other elements at or near the surfaces, much of the character and history of a coin is destroyed. Some people argue that the result is a more desirable coin.

dipped coins Understanding Classic U.S. Coins and Building Excellent Coin Collections, Part 2: Dipped CoinsMany of the coins in the Eliasberg, Norweb and Garrett collections, three of the greatest collections ever auctioned, were all characterized by certain patterns of natural toning, respectively. When an Eliasberg, Norweb, or Garrett coin is dipped, much of the history of the coin is erased, and its pedigree may never again be conclusively documented.

Most sophisticated collectors and most other experts, though not everyone, would agree that there are at least some cases where the harm done by dipping is outweighed by the benefits. If harmful materials have attached to a coin, in some cases, dipping is the least harmful way of removing such materials. If a coin is improperly stored in some peculiar setting, or was living below ground, undesirable substances may have bonded to the surface and, in some such instances, the acid in a standard coin dip is the best way to remove such undesirable substances.

It is also true that some forms of deliberate artificial toning are best removed with dipping, though such cases are very rare. Usually, artificial toning can be removed with running water or acetone.

Suppose that a coin has become covered by thick, black toning or has toning that is so heavy that the coin cannot be fully identified. Yes, it is being stated here that there exist coins for which the benefits of a dipping will probably outweigh the harm done. This, though, is beside the main topic, for two reasons. First, such cases would amount to less than one percent of all instances of classic U.S. coins being dipped. Secondly, experts at the dominant grading services and many influential dealers tend to be accepting of the dipping of high quality coins with attractive, natural toning.

There are a large number of white, classic U.S. silver coins in PCGS or NGC holders with grades of 67 or 68 that were bright white on the day that they each, respectively, were encapsulated. Many of these have been sold to beginning collectors or to ‘investors,’ who are often not familiar with the culture and traditions of coin collecting in the U.S.

https://www.coinweek.com/featured-n...cellent-coin-collections-part-2-dipped-coins/

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think what most people never realize is that a coin older than 50 years old that does not have some form of toning has been dipped. Dipping a coin is a terrible practice that is accepted in the coin community for whatever reason but has been proven to strip the top layer of metal and some detail. I consider these coins details coins and refuse to buy them.

Here is some food for thought an excellent article from Coinweek.....
I think proper dipping can conserve a coin. I have personally dipped a few coins that look much better after dipping. It's really a matter of choosing coins that NEED a dip and also choosing the right solution for that coin.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think proper dipping can conserve a coin. I have personally dipped a few coins that look much better after dipping. It's really a matter of choosing coins that NEED a dip and also choosing the right solution for that coin.

I understand some people like bright white coins and toning is just as rife with problems but bright white coins are not all that problem free as they look. Looks better is your opinion and you are most certainly entitled to it but you have to admit that dipping a coin is essentially stripping the coins history. It has also been proven, the evidence is all over, that dipping does permanent harm to the surface of the coin i will cite more reputable sources but I think you know with a google search you too can find it. This is more food for thought Q&A with CAC's John Albanese.

Question # 5: Dipping: it has been said by some that CAC promotes dipping. Is this true? Will CAC sticker any coin that has been dipped? Again to what extent is dipping acceptable?

Answer # 5: Actually, quite the opposite. CAC has always given the benefit of the doubt, favoring original, undipped coins.

Q&A with John Albanese: Dipping : CAC

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes, when the surface of a coin is a deep black, I prepare a solution of hot (boiling) water, salt, and baking soda in a container lined with aluminium foil. The baking soda acts as a catalyst in the reaction between the sulfur in the tarnish and the aluminium foil. The silver sulfide is turned into silver anc the aluminium is turned into aluminium trisulfide. Would this be considered dipping? The process is alters the patina of the coin but does not strip the top layer of silver off the coin.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes, when the surface of a coin is a deep black, I prepare a solution of hot (boiling) water, salt, and baking soda in a container lined with aluminium foil. The baking soda acts as a catalyst in the reaction between the sulfur in the tarnish and the aluminium foil. The silver sulfide is turned into silver anc the aluminium is turned into aluminium trisulfide. Would this be considered dipping? The process is alters the patina of the coin but does not strip the top layer of silver off the coin.

That irreparably damages the coin. It's a form of cleaning via a corrosive dip.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand some people like bright white coins and toning is just as rife with problems but bright white coins are not all that problem free as they look. Looks better is your opinion and you are most certainly entitled to it but you have to admit that dipping a coin is essentially stripping the coins history. It has also been proven, the evidence is all over, that dipping does permanent harm to the surface of the coin i will cite more reputable sources but I think you know with a google search you too can find it. This is more food for thought Q&A with CAC's John Albanese.
If luster can be restored and/or improved with a dip, and the coin is unattractively toned, I'm dipping it. I recently dipped a Morgan, a '89 with some flash, but lots of ugly dark brown toning. Looks a thousand times better now, I'm expecting it to grade 64PL. It looks a thousand times better now. The best part is that as long as it is stored properly going forward, it will maintain its new look.

Different strokes for different folks, so I totally get it if you don't agree.

28608543_large.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread