1943 Copper Cent!!!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
And just exactly how are you "on top"? It looks to me that you invested a bunch of your time including writing the above post. All that time and the only thing you have to show for it is your refund. You just didn't get screwed and it took you some effort at that.
As far as credit for a newly identified error? I'll be watching for your name in the news.
Bottom line? Ebay might not be the best way to acquire collector coins.

1943 cents were made of steel, not zinc.

xr7ator,

While I may not have come out on top per see in obtaining the new Variety (not Error) Specimen Coin, I did get back what I paid for the coin including the shipping costs to me, the return shipping costs to the Seller and I not only made this Seller visible to PayPal and eBay but also to the Error and Variety Coin Collecting World. I did lose a little bit as returning the coin to the Seller via Certified/Registered Mail was more than the Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation costs which I received. Also, you are somewhat wrong about eBay! eBay can and has been a fairly good venue for aquiring Collector Coins for me and many millions of other folks. In fact, I have Cherrypicked many Variety coins off of eBay including many Morgan VAM's and some 6 years ago, I Cherrypicked an PR-55 1911-P "Matte Proof" Lincoln Cent off of eBay for around $14.00 which included the shipping costs. I later went on to sell the coin to a Coin Dealer that had been robbed of everything coin-wise and was trying to make another start for only $250. He was happy and so was I!

Frank

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And just exactly how are you "on top"? It looks to me that you invested a bunch of your time including writing the above post. All that time and the only thing you have to show for it is your refund. You just didn't get screwed and it took you some effort at that.
As far as credit for a newly identified error? I'll be watching for your name in the news.
Bottom line? Ebay might not be the best way to acquire collector coins.

1943 cents were made of steel, not zinc.

Okay, even I'm confused by this attack on someone who hasn't said a word to you. Kinda makes me think the story may hit a little close to home.
HH
enamel7

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate the story and glad you shared and came out on top, but there's something else to be learned from your situation, just because a coin is date 1955 and is a doubled die, known or unknown, does not mean it's worth $250. 1955 is known for several doubled die varieties and only the 1955P-1D0-001 is the biggie with the 002 being a little valuable based on the grade.

You can find some cherries on ebay, but it takes a lot of time and effort.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I appreciate the story and glad you shared and came out on top, but there's something else to be learned from your situation, just because a coin is date 1955 and is a doubled die, known or unknown, does not mean it's worth $250. 1955 is known for several doubled die varieties and only the 1955P-1D0-001 is the biggie with the 002 being a little valuable based on the grade.

You can find some cherries on ebay, but it takes a lot of time and effort.

CoinHelp,

I understand where you are coming from and in a lot of cases, what you said is true! However, I believe in 2005 (sorry but my memory of dates isn't what it used to be) I purchased a BU Red roll of 1955-P Lincoln Cents that were in a plastic tube from a local Coin Dealer/Friend for only $15. The roll was placed in a bag with other coin purchases that I made that day and when I got home, I put the bag away. Well, it was nearly two weeks before I finally got around to checking the coins in the roll. While I had no expectations of finding a 1955-P Double Die #1, I was still hoping for something (i.e. one or more Error coins or one or more very high grade Cents). However, after checking the first 5 Cents in the roll, I noticed some slight doubling on "IN GOD WE TRUST", thickness on "LIBERTY" and a doubled eyelid on Lincoln. After checking the Copper Coins' website, I knew that I had found a 1955-P Lincoln Cent "Double Die #2" Variety and incredibly it was an MS-64 RED specimen. I went back to checking the remaining coins in the roll and found two more Double Die #2 specimens and both were in the same condition as the first. All in all, there were 5 "Poor Man's Doubled Die" Cents, the 3 "Double Die #2" Cents and believe it or not, the rest of the coins were Double Die #3 and Double Die #4 Varieties. The first of the first "Double Die #2" Cents I sold on eBay and accidientally did not put a "Reserve" Price on the Auction and it only sold for $175. The second specimen I sold to an Error/Variety Coin Dealer/Collector at the Georgia Numismatic Association Coin Show in Dalton, Georgia for $275, he did not even blink at the price and shelled the money out right away. I offered him the 3rd specimen for $250 but he said that he only needed the one. At the very next Coin Show there, this Error/Variety Coin Dealer/Collector pulled me aside and asked to purchase the other specimen that I had offered to him. However, I told him that I was sorry but I traded it off for over $250 in coins at Dealer prices and which were worth about $350 in retail value. He said that he wished he had bought the coin when I offered it to him as he had the one that he purchased certified and graded and it came back from PCGS as an MS-64 Red and was the finest specimen known to exist. When I told him that I found 3 of the "Double Die #2's" in the roll, he was totally blown away. Well to finish out this story, I did not spend the time to attribute and try to sell the Double Die #3 and #4 specimens in the roll and eventually added 3 BU Red 1955-P "Poor Man's Doubled Die" Lincoln Cents to it and sold the entire roll of coins for $25. Yeah, I could have gotten a lot more by attributing the other Varieties but I was happy with what I had already made on the 3 Double Die #2's which ain't bad for a $15 investment. Nowadays, I check as much as possible with Coin Dealers and on eBay for BU Red rolls of 1955-P Lincoln Cents that I can get cheap, not $15 cheap but cheaper than what they normally go for.

Considering what I knew about what the "Double Die #2's" could fetch in high grade condition, I knew that the coin that I bid on and won on eBay would be worth a lot more. The reason why I knew is first, because I knew that it was a new and previously unknown 1955-P Lincoln Cent "Double Die" Variety and second, because it was like a hybrid between the Double Die #1" and Double Die #2" Varieties with stronger doubling than the Double Die #2 but less than the Double Die #1. I felt fairly confident that after receiving the coin, having it attributed by an Expert Attributer at Coneca, having it certified and grade by PCGS with the attribution noted on the label and once the word got out via Coin World, that the coin would probably fetch between $600 and $800. Oh well, I never received the coin due to a dishonest Seller, so we will never know what the coin would have trully fetched and how much publicity it would have received. To my knowledge, the coin has never shown up again on eBay or any other coin market and so far, has not been attributed, certified and graded.

Frank

Last edited:

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good roll and finds and story. Red MS64 examples are not easy to come by so I see what you mean on the value. Sadly PCGS wouldn't label it as a new variety unless it's in the Cherry Pickers, but ANACS would. So you might have found a collector to pay as much as you thought even in an ANACS holder. It would be a good discovery coin. As a matter of fact, with a bit of media, it might have sold for more than you thought. So now I understand what you're saying a little better with your last post.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread