DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a feelin that sounded to good to be true!But damn man,ya had me for a second there. Wouldn't that be frigin nice:coins:From what i have read ,there are some 44 steel pennies out there too. that pennie does look copper,but with a funny lookin 8

Last edited:

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would have made ma as excited as heck, and then as disappointed as heck. Reminds me of a cent I found a few years back:

I was at a bank and I saw the seller's coin tray in the background. However, sitting in the very front of the line of cents was a silver-coloured coin. I asked about it, and the teller said it was the result of a missing copper layer of a zinc cent. When she handed it to me, I knew she was wrong because the date was 1974, 8 years before the mint produced zinc cents. Then I started getting excited, because I knew that a silver-coloured 1974 cent could be the famous 1974 aluminium cent, which, however, would put me on the Secret Service's hit list. I bought it and took it home. Since this was before we had a coin scale in the house, we (my dad and I) had to wait for the next coin club meeting to identify for sure what we had. Finally that day came, and we took out the coin and showed it to Bill Fivaz, a member of my club. He took a second look ing at it and then said it was silver plated. Oh, darn, but I only lost a cent on it so there was no loss. A fun little adventure, though probably not as exciting as yours.

Happy hunting and collecting!

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Immediately when I saw it I was weary. The 4 didnt look right to me. Plus odds are that it was a fake. I got my hopes up before only to be told my Fugio cent was a reproduction so now I just assume the worst. Sure enough it was under weight and magnetic making it a copper plated steelie. $100,000 would have looked nice in my bank account!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Immediately when I saw it I was weary. The 4 didnt look right to me. Plus odds are that it was a fake. I got my hopes up before only to be told my Fugio cent was a reproduction so now I just assume the worst. Sure enough it was under weight and magnetic making it a copper plated steelie. $100,000 would have looked nice in my bank account!

Yep, the weak "4" is a dead give away! As far as I know, there has never been an authentic 1943 "Bronze" Lincoln Cent authenticated with a weak "4" in the Date but literally, thousands upon thousands of 1943 "Zinc Coated Steel" Lincoln Cents have a weak "4" in the Date.

Frank

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny story about this coin. Over the weekend I get an Ebay message asking me if I still had it. I never put it on Ebay, this was the only place I mentioned it. Anyways, the guy said he saw it on this site and wanted to purchase it, offering me $40. I said sure, asked him to contact me here so I could send him a paypal invoice to his email address. After that he send me an email "This is a real copper cent right? It doesn't stick to anything magnetic?"

LMAO, yeah buddy I'm going to sell you a real 1943 copper cent for $40 :sign10: :tard: :rolleyes: :laughing7:

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny story about this coin. Over the weekend I get an Ebay message asking me if I still had it. I never put it on Ebay, this was the only place I mentioned it. Anyways, the guy said he saw it on this site and wanted to purchase it, offering me $40. I said sure, asked him to contact me here so I could send him a paypal invoice to his email address. After that he send me an email "This is a real copper cent right? It doesn't stick to anything magnetic?"

LMAO, yeah buddy I'm going to sell you a real 1943 copper cent for $40 :sign10: :tard: :rolleyes: :laughing7:

haha..what a DumbArse

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Just an FYI, these copper plated 43 steel cents do have novelty value. They are very common. I own one and have seen dozens before.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Sorry, thought I could pull the wool over on ya!

:laughing7:

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You can pull the wool over my eyes all you want as long as that $40 makes it to my paypal account!

Haha, I don't know who really thought you could be that dumb, but you should sell it to 'em!

Tell them that you don't have a magnet on you but you're sure it's legit.

:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Joe777Cool

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, I don't know who really thought you could be that dumb, but you should sell it to 'em!

Tell them that you don't have a magnet on you but you're sure it's legit.

:thumbsup:

What I dont understand is they saw it here, how did they not read the entire thread? I clearly said it was a fake and stuck to a magnet!! I dont even think I could list it on ebay since its a fake. Maybe call it a 1943 copper plated zinc cent? Would that keep me in their good graces?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
What I dont understand is they saw it here, how did they not read the entire thread? I clearly said it was a fake and stuck to a magnet!! I dont even think I could list it on ebay since its a fake. Maybe call it a 1943 copper plated zinc cent? Would that keep me in their good graces?

Joe,

I believe that you can list it on eBay as long as you clearly identify the coin as a fake but you should call or email an eBay Rep. to be sure. To sell it on eBay and not identify it as a fake can bring you all kinds of grief. While it clearly does not fall within the designation of a Counterfeit, it is still a coin that was altered to appear as a more vaulable coin, was probably done so to dupe an unsuspecting buyer and to line the pockets of the person that altered it with more money than the true value of the coin which is the same as any VF to EF 1943-P Zinc coated Steel Cent.

In searching eBay some 7 or 8 years ago, I came across a 1955-P Lincoln Cent which was clearly a new and previously unidentified Double Die Variety specimen. A few others apparently saw what I did but the Seller was apparently unaware of this until the coin sold for $250 and change and I was the high bidder. I immediately paid the bid price and shipping costs right after the Auction ended. After not receiving the coin in a weeks time, I contacted the Seller through eBay inquiring as to whether the coin had been shipped. About 3 days went by with no response from the Seller, so I sent another inquiry to him through eBay and again no response. After sending numerous inquiries to the Seller about the coin through eBay and getting no response, I highly suspected that something was amiss. After more than 3 weeks from the time the Auction ended and I had paid for the coin, the Seller finally contacted me to inform me that the coin had been shipped. However, it still took more than another week for the coin to arrive. Having suspicions of the Seller and the coin, I wisely did not answer the door when the U.S. Postal Service Mail Lady came to the door for me to sign for the package knowing that I would have to pick the package up at the Post Office later. I did this for a reason which you will understand as I write further and is a method that I would recommend to others, if you suspect foul play on the behalf of a Seller. You see, I had saved pics of the coin from the eBay Auction to my' computer, blew them up with no other manipulation or any type of photoshopping, burnt the pics to a CD and took them to Walmart and had blown-up photos produced. When I went to the Post Office to pickup the package, I had the blown-up photos of the purchased coin in hand. I asked the Postal Clerk to have the Postmaster present and then had the Postal Clerk open the package and compare the coin to the photos. The Postal Clerk said that the coin I received was not the coin in the photos from the Auction and he and the Postmaster both verified this and signed a statement on the box as such. (It seems that since the coin that was auctioned on eBay and I purchased was a new Variety of a Double Die but was also a Poor Man's Doubled Die at the same time, the Seller took all those weeks to search for and find a somewhat similar 1955-P "Poor Man's Doubled Die" Lincoln Cent, altered it with a crudely produced Die and tooling to appear somewhat close to the coin he sold and I purchased in the auction.) I presented all of this evidence to both eBay and PayPal via emailed correspondence and pics per my' Claim for full reimbursement of the bid price of the coin plus the shipping and any return shipping to the Seller. They presented this to the Seller but for more than a week, he denied any wrong doing and refused reimbursement on my' Claim. Well, a representative with PayPal contacted me and stated that if the Seller did not comply within 3 days, that they wanted me to mail all of the evidence to them which would then be turned over to an Investigator and that charges would be filed shortly thereafter against the Seller for Mail Fraud, Counterfeiting a coin via alteration and other charges. In retrospect I wish now that I had not done so but I contacted the Seller one more time stating that they (PayPal) had requested me to forward all of the evidence to them and that charges would be forthcoming against him. Well, needless to say, I received my refund in less than 24 hours from the time I sent the last email to the Seller and the Claim was closed. However, PayPal contacted me and stated that charges may still be filed against the Seller and that his' account with PayPal and eBay would be closely scrutinzed for further fraud. I took closeup pics of the fraudulent (altered) coin in case they would be needed for future litigation and reference and then returned the coin to the Seller by Certified/Registered Mail. It was a lesson learned and one that I am proud to say, that I came out on top even though I did not get the new Double Die Variety specimen. I did however, contact everyone I know and some I do not know in the Coin Collecting/Selling World of Variety/Error Coins about the situation, the Seller and the coin and everyone advised me that they would be on the lookout for the coin and the Seller. I do not know what happened thereafter but was advised that if the Seller ever tried to get credit for the discovery or sell the coin again and they were aware of it, that he would quickly be shot down by anyone in the Coin Collecting/Selling World of Variety/Error Coins.

I am sorry for such a long-winded story but if it helps even one other person, it would have been worth it!

Frank

Last edited:

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
And just exactly how are you "on top"? It looks to me that you invested a bunch of your time including writing the above post. All that time and the only thing you have to show for it is your refund. You just didn't get screwed and it took you some effort at that.
As far as credit for a newly identified error? I'll be watching for your name in the news.
Bottom line? Ebay might not be the best way to acquire collector coins.

1943 cents were made of steel, not zinc.

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And just exactly how are you "on top"? It looks to me that you invested a bunch of your time including writing the above post. All that time and the only thing you have to show for it is your refund. You just didn't get screwed and it took you some effort at that.
As far as credit for a newly identified error? I'll be watching for your name in the news.
Bottom line? Ebay might not be the best way to acquire collector coins.

1943 cents were made of steel, not zinc.

Well, for your information, Frank is showing the dangers of buying unscrupulously fraudulent coins made to deceive the collector and gain a dishonest buck. Then he goes into detail about the correct way to deal with the situation if it were to happen to you, in which his insight was very wise, useful, and helpful. It was a way to make an indesputable claim so the fraudulent seller no longer has a foothold to deny the facts. If you were like those in my family, we wouldn't let $250 slip off the table like this without a fight, which is what Frank did in order to ensure that he wouldn't lose any of his money.

And FYI, Frank was correct about the composition of 1943 Cents; they have a steel core that is plated by zinc, much like the cents of today in which they have a zinc core that is plated by copper.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, for your information, Frank is showing the dangers of buying unscrupulously fraudulent coins made to deceive the collector and gain a dishonest buck. Then he goes into detail about the correct way to deal with the situation if it were to happen to you, in which his insight was very wise, useful, and helpful. It was a way to make an indesputable claim so the fraudulent seller no longer has a foothold to deny the facts. If you were like those in my family, we wouldn't let $250 slip off the table like this without a fight, which is what Frank did in order to ensure that he wouldn't lose any of his money.

And FYI, Frank was correct about the composition of 1943 Cents; they have a steel core that is plated by zinc, much like the cents of today in which they have a zinc core that is plated by copper.

TypeCoin,

Thanks for defending and understanding why I made the post!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions