Would these coins qualify for good condition?

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
003.JPG 002.JPG Still learning to distinguish condition!Any thoughts,and further infrormation on the subject would be appriceated .Sorry bout the first picture.couldnt get it to come out right. joe

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quarter looks like a contemporary (made when that kind of coin was used) counterfeit. The dime is a solid G-4 and the half dime is an AG-3 due to the excessive wear to the reverse.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The obverse photo is a bit blurry. I'd give the dime a VG grade and the other two a Fair or AG. I don't think the quarter is a counterfeit, just badly worn. An acid test would answer that question.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The quarter looks like a contemporary (made when that kind of coin was used) counterfeit. The dime is a solid G-4 and the half dime is an AG-3 due to the excessive wear to the reverse.
I was thinking something didn't look right.But It is the only one I have, and I have nothing to really compare it too.Has a real black, smooth like patina around the bust.And lettering on reverse,seems kind of big?,but I dont realy know.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The obverse photo is a bit blurry. I'd give the dime a VG grade and the other two a Fair or AG. I don't think the quarter is a counterfeit, just badly worn. An acid test would answer that question.
I have a silver testing stone and some nitric acid.I didn't even think to try it.going to right now!

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well,it doesn't seem to be silver.Guess I still dont have one!Just to be sure, I tested the dime too,and sure enough it was silver.How collectable are old counterfeit money?It seems there would be some kind interest in it?By the way, thank you guys for the grade's!:icon_thumleft:

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the coins are damaged, but I don't see any counterfeits. I don't see any of them net grading higher than AG3.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the coins are damaged, but I don't see any counterfeits. I don't see any of them net grading higher than AG3.
I did a silver test on the Quarter.The color of the test did not come back right.I am thinking pewter?.I thought it was real too!but somthing didn't look "seem" right.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How collectable are old counterfets?

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They aren't very collectable (worth maybe $5 at the most, but probably less), but they do represent our nation's history. When it was probably made (around the Civil War), counterfeiting was rampant and a serious problem. Although it was mostly focused on paper currency counterfeiting, the secret service was founded in 1865, on the day before Lincoln was shot, to catch and punish any counterfeiters of US money. Think of it as a piece of this part of US History, not just a fake coin.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They aren't very collectable (worth maybe $5 at the most, but probably less), but they do represent our nation's history. When it was probably made (around the Civil War), counterfeiting was rampant and a serious problem. Although it was mostly focused on paper currency counterfeiting, the secret service was founded in 1865, on the day before Lincoln was shot, to catch and punish any counterfeiters of US money. Think of it as a piece of this part of US History, not just a fake coin.
It is a piece of history.I know! I can tell you know your stuff..I hope to have something to ask you about soon.thanks for your help!!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone have any proof that the quarter is a contemporary counterfeit and not just a damaged coin?

You cant test coins on a testing stone, you have to scratch into the coin and put a drop of acid on the scratch.

OP
OP
DigIron2

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have any proof that the quarter is a contemporary counterfeit and not just a damaged coin?

You cant test coins on a testing stone, you have to scratch into the coin and put a drop of acid on the scratch.
I really don't know.I rubbed one of those dimes too,and its color came back that bright red,milky white underneath color.The quarter came back that blackish color like if i was to scratch pewter.But I might have to try what you suggested.thanks for the tip.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread