Hi all, newbie here. Looking for help on my first interesting find!

Prov3rb

Greenie
Jan 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi everyone. Two days ago I found out that one of my quarters was actually worth 50 cents and one thing turned into another and now I'm totally hooked on coin hunting! Very relaxing but very exciting at the same time.

I'll spare you a long winded story and start by asking for your help with my first interesting find! I am a Canadian and I've found a few coins that may be worth a little more (common misprints like missing FG 1969 american penny, missing MG 1964 canadian penny, etc.) but just a little while ago I came across a 1909 American penny in seemingly good condition! Here are some (not extraordinary) pictures of it. 1909US Penny - Imgur

If you guys have a few extra minutes I was wondering if you could spit-ball a rating at it? Or maybe point me in the right direction to get it properly rated? I'm still learning how to use/find the ratings,etc. I was also wondering if there was any good guides on how to properly clean coins? I was warned that cleaning coins can sometimes depreciate the value so I want to be careful.

I have a lot of questions to ask but maybe I'll leave it to just this for now! Thanks so much in advance for all your help, I look forward to hunting with you all :)

crhgymnast1

Jun 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to tnet. It is highly unreccomended to clean coins at all. It will only decrease the value.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never ever clean a coin. Ever. Never.

Looks XF, value prob around $10.

WheatWaffle

Bronze Member
Oct 30, 2013
That is one great find. They are VERY rare to find in circulation. I wouldn't clean the coin, because it is in fairly good condition. Congrats on a great score.

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is one great find. They are VERY rare to find in circulation. I wouldn't clean the coin, because it is in fairly good condition. Congrats on a great score.

I've found three in circulation, they're not that rare. Now if it was an 09-S VDB, or a '14-D, or a '31-S, or just a plain ol' '09-S...

oooldman

Feb 12, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, Whites coinmaster, Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a nice place to look at conditions of coins. Everyone has their own ideas about grading. This can serve as a guideline and let the buyer or seller determine what they believe is proper condition.

PCGS Photograde Online

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The no FG 1969 must not have an remnants of the FG, you need to turn it in the light and make sure you can see any shapes or shadows where the FG should be. The no FG was caused by the dies being abraded by mint employees to get rid of clash marks when the dies struck each other without a coin in between them.

Take the advice here, don't clean your coins.

Rating coins is grading coins and we use the numbers 1-70 and the letters to assign grades. I think it's best to see this in images and here's one place http://coinauctionshelp.com/US_Coin_Grading_Guides.html

OP
OP
P

Prov3rb

Greenie
Jan 30, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot for your help guys, going to look into getting it rated and maybe throw it up on ebay.

I'm thinking right now with those charts you guys linked that it might be an XF45 or so

YumaMarc

Dec 12, 2004
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Minelab Quattro
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never ever clean a coin. Ever. Never.

What would you do with a coin like this? 1892-S Barber dime......

1892f.jpg 1892b.jpg

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cleaning this coin wouldn't improve the grade. It's still worth a premium so I wouldn't clean it. If it were a common coin in that grade then it would be worth only melt anyway.
HH
enamel7

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread