Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If I remember correctly, it can be caused by foreign matter getting in the dies, and it doesn't take a very big piece of trash to cause damage because of the tolerances in the dies.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If I remember correctly, it can be caused by foreign matter getting in the dies, and it doesn't take a very big piece of trash to cause damage because of the tolerances in the dies.

Actually, it is caused by an internal flaw in the Nickel Planchet when it was made! It is possible that there could have been some kind of foreign material in the Nickel metal composition when it was in the liquid (molten) state before it is cooled and rolled into Planchet stock that left a void or air bubble. In most cases, cracks and lamination problems with Planchets are caused mainly by air bubbles trapped inside the metal but sometimes can also be caused by improper composition mixing which results in a weak spots in the Planchet stock and thus in some of the Planchets. Foreign material getting between the Dies and the Planchet really can't cause the cracks in the Planchet unless the condition (i.e. air bubble or weak spot) already exists inside the Planchet. If that were the case, then the coin would exhibit evidence of being "Struck Thru" the foreign material. However, there is no evidence of this with the O.P's coin.

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread