Would This be the Oldest Dated Coin?

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
http://colnect.com/en/coins/coin/26843-2_Cash-W2_-_南宋_Southern_Song_1127~1279-China_Dynastic_Empires

This can be debatable depending on what you call "dated." If you say it is with arabic numerals, than that will be 1456. If it is with Roman numerals, that would be 1204. But if you say putting a date on a coin is dependent on the system in which a society tracks years, then it would be this coin from 1180. In China, it is a common practice to not use a specific year on the Gregorian calendar or the Islamic calendar to put a date to something, but to use the XX year of so-ans-so's reign. This practice started being used on Chinese coins in 1180, or the 7th year of Emperor Chun-Xi's reign. On the upper reverse, there is the Chinese character for 7, signifying the seventh year of this Emperor's reign. This can be traced to the year 1180 quite easily, thus making it a (the earliest) dated coin.

What do you think? Add on to the debate if you want to. I encourage you to find even earlier "dated" coins.

skeeterd

Oct 11, 2012
Montana
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my opinion, any mark put on a coin (at the time it was minted), that is meant to show the year of being minted, is a dated coin.

scott9050

Apr 8, 2013
Martinsburg, WV
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Teknetics Omega 8500
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oldest 'dated' coins I have personally owned were Pontius Pilate Prutah coins, but I have owned quite a few Byzantine coins 'dated' older than the link.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread