What do you think? Is this a Genuine 1955 DDO?

CoinHuntingDrew

Dec 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lincoln Cent 1955 Double Die | eBay

I'm floating around on ebay, taking a look at raw 1955 DDO's and I spot this one. The pics aren't the greatest, but it almost looks like a fake.

According to this image:

1955counter6.jpg

If you look at the "1" in the date, the fake one on the image above shows it to be curved. Now if you look on the ebay one, it appears to be curved aswell.

Genuine or no? :icon_scratch:

bigscores

Aug 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't tell, I find the doubling on IGWT to be a better PUP.

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am no expert but there are other ones on Ebay that are Graded and currently listed cheaper. This one the date looks a little different then them. But like I said I am no expert.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are so highly counterfeited that i would stay away from "raw eBay deals" so often they do not end well.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Notice what looks to be a ball shaped mass at the end of the 5's tail suspicious indeed. Also notice the seller will only accept a credit card as payment no paypal it's also listed with ridiculous shipping price. I wouldn't touch this coin with a ten in a half foot pole......

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't believe people don't slab those high priced coins. I'd send that puppy to PCGS or NGC if I thought it was real. It would sure ease the mind of prospective buyers. $2k for a raw coin like that? No way.

RBowtie97

Sep 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know. It could be real. The seller has a perfect feedback. Could the high shipping cost be insurance on the coin. It is a risk though.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get a real deal PCGS coin in a higher grade for less $. There are plenty out there. I bought one raw several years ago on eBay as an xf. I sent it to pcgs and it came back au50! I got a good deal - after it was slanted I got a great deal. If you are gonna buy an expensive raw coin, make sure they have a good return policy. Here's a pic of mine.

Attachments

• image-1507496470.jpg
    image-1507496470.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 130

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi CHD; I'd stay clear of it. Way to much money. 4 guys here have said so. I wouldn't touch something like that unless it was PCGS'd. To much money to risk ok. Good pics for comparison. Have you checked the Sellers reputation and FULL background. I don't care if your the Pope. For that kind of money I'll be checking you out for sure. Yup, there are guys that are lucky as shown here but do you want to throw $2,000 in the wind on a maybe. Do your homework ok. Good Luck. PEACE:RONB :coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread