SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everybody! I have an opportunity to buy a PCGS slabbed Capped bust quarter. PCGS values it at $130 but Red Book and Grey Sheet price it lower. What I mean by they value it at $130 is after verifying the serial number that's the price that pops up. I know Grey Sheet is usually pretty accurate and Red Book overpriced. I've never used the PCGS price guide. What should I go by? PCGS because it's on that exact coin or the others? Thanks for your help.

OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everybody! I have an opportunity to buy a PCGS slabbed Capped bust quarter. PCGS values it at $130 but Red Book and Grey Sheet price it lower. What I mean by they value it at $130 is after verifying the serial number that's the price that pops up. I know Grey Sheet is usually pretty accurate and Red Book overpriced. I've never used the PCGS price guide. What should I go by? PCGS because it's on that exact coin or the others? Thanks for your help.

I would also like to mention its cost is under $130.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay sold listings trumps all three. 5 years from now I wonder if these publications will continue to exist in their paper form.

OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ebay sold listings trumps all three. 5 years from now I wonder if these publications will continue to exist in their paper form.

Should I average old eBay listings or just go with whatever feels right? Haha. Thanks

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should I average old eBay listings or just go with whatever feels right? Haha. Thanks

If you are buying I would look at the last 3-5 sold and average it out (unless one was way high or low). Then I would offer 10-15% lower than than price - if I really wanted the coin.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are buying I would look at the last 3-5 sold and average it out (unless one was way high or low). Then I would offer 10-15% lower than than price - if I really wanted the coin.

Of course make sure you are comparing sales of coins of equal grade also.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
PCGS' pricing is generally based on the coin being certified and graded and that it was graded by PCGS. The Redbook pricing takes into account all coin markets just before it goes to print and does not take into account that a coin is certified and graded. The Grey Sheet pricing is generally based on Dealer to Dealer transactions, Dealer purchases and sales, is generally biased in favor of the Dealer and may or may not take into account that a coin is certified or graded. eBay is a fairly good avenue to base purchases and sales but you might also try NumisMedia United States Rare Coin Prices as they generally take into account all coin markets.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all! It seems that it's about right on. I really appreciate it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread