This may be the rarest coin ever featured on this site!!!!!!!

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still in disbelief that I found this coin. Yesterday, I bought a lot of 3 large cents, dated 1797, 1798, and 1800, at an auction at my coin club for $15. The 1797 was in FA-02 condition, the 1798 was AG-03, and the 1800 was AG details with a hole. I sold my dad the 1798 for $5 (which we later determined to be an S-184 valued at about $50 or so). I got an offer of $15 for the 1800 after the auction, but I declined thinking it had a rare overdate (not the case, but it was the S-197 variety that had a die chip in the first 0, giving the illusion of an overdate.). Then, this morning, I decided to research the 1797's variety. The first diagnostic was the reverse of 1796, so I went from there. Then I looked at the date, which had the numbers close together and evenly spaced. The last diagnostic was the edge, which was plain and had no gripping (which is somewhat like reeding). All told, I figured out that this was the S-121a variety. When I tried to research price, there was nothing to compare it to, save one example here: http://larrybriggsrarecoins.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=1182 . It is comparable to my coin's condition. This variety has a rarity rating of R7-, meaning fewer than 20 are known to exist! With the highest grade being a VG-10. I still need it to be checked out, but I think this may be a $2000 coin! Needless to say, I'm stoked!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to prove that it is not the 121a, but I'm not having any success in doing so. As of right now, I am 95% sure this is the real deal. I just hope this doesn't turn into a disappointment...

Here's a reference: http://www.ngccoin.com/vp-variety.a... is the rare variety. Until next time :hello:

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
TypeCoin,

Congrats on a really nice acquisition! You can contact Larry Briggs and if the 1797 LC is in fact an S-121a Variety, he will authenticate it for you and put it on paper and signed if you want. Once you have this, you can send the coin to PCGS or NGC as long as it does not have damage or has not been cleaned and they will certify and grade the coin and you can keep the letter from Larry Briggs with the coin. I know Larry Briggs personally who I believe is the Top Expert on Bust and Seated Liberty Coins, the go to guy at Coin Shows for authentification of them(*), teaches classes on them and grading, owner of SEGS and really just an all around nice person to know and to talk to. I have spent hours and hours at his' tables at Coin Shows and watched a true Coin Expert at work. Larry has long had a problem with I believe Ear Infections and you will always see him with cotton in his' ears, so you have to speak up when you talk to him. When I got totally frustrated and disgusted with the Error and Variety Coin World of Collectors and Dealers, I sold almost my' entire collection of Error and Variety coins as well as most of my' normal mid-grade to high grade coins. The collection included thousands of Error and Variety coins, most of which were Lincoln Cents but also a lot of Morgan and Peace Dollar VAM's. Some of the Varieties were new and previously unknown discoveries and some were the earliest Die Stage specimens known to exist. While I lost a lot of money selling the coins to Larry, I would have lost more if selling to any other Dealer and I was glad that Larry purchased them. At least I knew that the new discoveries and EDS (Early Die Stage) specimens would finally get recorded into the books, something I neither had the time nor the money to accomplish.

(**) I have seen some of the top Coin Collectors, Dealers and even folks with the top four Coin Grading Services (PCGS, NGC, ANACS and ICG) walk up to Larry's tables with a coin and ask him if it is genuine and if so, what is the Variety. Without even having to check references, Larry would say yes or no to the authentic question and even give the Variety off the top of his' head.

Good luck and I hope for you, that it really is an S-121a Variety!

Frank

OP
OP
TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TypeCoin,

Congrats on a really nice acquisition! You can contact Larry Briggs and if the 1797 LC is in fact an S-121a Variety, he will authenticate it for you and put it on paper and signed if you want. Once you have this, you can send the coin to PCGS or NGC as long as it does not have damage or has not been cleaned and they will certify and grade the coin and you can keep the letter from Larry Briggs with the coin. I know Larry Briggs personally who I believe is the Top Expert on Bust and Seated Liberty Coins, the go to guy at Coin Shows for authentification of them(*), teaches classes on them and grading, owner of SEGS and really just an all around nice person to know and to talk to. I have spent hours and hours at his' tables at Coin Shows and watched a true Coin Expert at work. Larry has long had a problem with I believe Ear Infections and you will always see him with cotton in his' ears, so you have to speak up when you talk to him. When I got totally frustrated and disgusted with the Error and Variety Coin World of Collectors and Dealers, I sold almost my' entire collection of Error and Variety coins as well as most of my' normal mid-grade to high grade coins. The collection included thousands of Error and Variety coins, most of which were Lincoln Cents but also a lot of Morgan and Peace Dollar VAM's. Some of the Varieties were new and previously unknown discoveries and some were the earliest Die Stage specimens known to exist. While I lost a lot of money selling the coins to Larry, I would have lost more if selling to any other Dealer and I was glad that Larry purchased them. At least I knew that the new discoveries and EDS (Early Die Stage) specimens would finally get recorded into the books, something I neither had the time nor the money to accomplish.

(**) I have seen some of the top Coin Collectors, Dealers and even folks with the top four Coin Grading Services (PCGS, NGC, ANACS and ICG) walk up to Larry's tables with a coin and ask him if it is genuine and if so, what is the Variety. Without even having to check references, Larry would say yes or no to the authentic question and even give the Variety off the top of his' head.

Good luck and I hope for you, that it really is an S-121a Variety!

Frank

Thanks for the wonderful advice! I just contacted Larry Briggs and am awaiting a response, although he may be closed today. I will also contact Jack H. Beymer as he is another expert in early U.S. Copper coinage. My coin's reverse has several digs in it and the reverse looks as if it had been scrubbed at some point in the distant past. The obverse is beautiful. Would NGC/PCGS not attribute it with damage or would they attribute it with a "details" designation. That sentence in your post leaves me confused.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the wonderful advice! I just contacted Larry Briggs and am awaiting a response, although he may be closed today. I will also contact Jack H. Beymer as he is another expert in early U.S. Copper coinage. My coin's reverse has several digs in it and the reverse looks as if it had been scrubbed at some point in the distant past. The obverse is beautiful. Would NGC/PCGS not attribute it with damage or would they attribute it with a "details" designation. That sentence in your post leaves me confused.

Type Coin,

You are more than welcome and it was my pleasure to help!

If the coin has damage and/or has been cleaned, I am pretty sure that both PCGS and NGC will put "Genuine" on the label and below or above (I can't remember which), "Damaged and Cleaned with FR-02 details" but you might want to check with them to be sure. I believe that ANACS will also place "Genuine" on the label as well as "Damaged and Cleaned" but either give it a grade or net grade. If the coin is a S-121a Variety, the graders may give it a bump in grade to an AG-03 due to rarity and especially if there is a recommendation from Larry (but no guarantees here). Also, you may have better luck reaching Larry via telephone and especially on a Wednesday. He does Coin Shows almost every weekend somewhere across the U.S. and after getting back from a Coin Show and grading & certifying coins, he has to have some wind-down and down time. It is possible that you may reach him on a Tuesday afternoon and on a Thursday morning as well.

Good luck!

Frank

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Why not simply get it authenticated by a reputable grading service and remove all doubt?
Don....

Because they make mistakes, it is expensive, and there are plenty of other opportunities to get it ID'd for free by EAC experts.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh, I forgot to mention that when you have the coin certified and graded, if you choose to do so, you also have to pay extra for the Attribution of the Variety as well as to be noted on the label or to have it noted on the label.

Frank

OP
OP
TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, I've asked many experts (Jack Beymer, Butternut, and Chris McCawley to name a few) about this coin, and no consensus has yet been reached. At the ANA National Money Show on Thursday, I got multiple "I don't know" 's, one "no" and one "I'm pretty sure yes." Thing is, there are a few marks on the rim that are questionable as to being grips or PMD. Butternut said that they are grips, but McCawley believes that they are just nicks in the coin. The coin is currently in the hands of McCawley as he has offered to authenticate it and possibly consign it for free. He will do this by looking at the edge under a microscope and sending it out to other experts (notably Bob Grellman) to get their opinions as well. All told, I should fond out about it in about a month. Wish me luck!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I've asked many experts (Jack Beymer, Butternut, and Chris McCawley to name a few) about this coin, and no consensus has yet been reached. At the ANA National Money Show on Thursday, I got multiple "I don't know" 's, one "no" and one "I'm pretty sure yes." Thing is, there are a few marks on the rim that are questionable as to being grips or PMD. Butternut said that they are grips, but McCawley believes that they are just nicks in the coin. The coin is currently in the hands of McCawley as he has offered to authenticate it and possibly consign it for free. He will do this by looking at the edge under a microscope and sending it out to other experts (notably Bob Grellman) to get their opinions as well. All told, I should fond out about it in about a month. Wish me luck!

IMO, Bob Grellman's opinion should be the final word.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's purrtay saweet if ya ask me

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
seems a bit odd ( although I admit I'm no expert) that with all the wear , yet the date is so clear?

OP
OP
TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
seems a bit odd ( although I admit I'm no expert) that with all the wear , yet the date is so clear?

Since this coin was struck with a die pair in a late die state, the reverse was struck more weakly than usual, thus it seems to wear more easily/quickly. This is a common phenomenon with this series.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I've asked many experts (Jack Beymer, Butternut, and Chris McCawley to name a few) about this coin, and no consensus has yet been reached. At the ANA National Money Show on Thursday, I got multiple "I don't know" 's, one "no" and one "I'm pretty sure yes." Thing is, there are a few marks on the rim that are questionable as to being grips or PMD. Butternut said that they are grips, but McCawley believes that they are just nicks in the coin. The coin is currently in the hands of McCawley as he has offered to authenticate it and possibly consign it for free. He will do this by looking at the edge under a microscope and sending it out to other experts (notably Bob Grellman) to get their opinions as well. All told, I should find out about it in about a month. Wish me luck!

Sorry I did not read this sooner! I am hoping that it comes back as the "Plain Edge"! It sounds as if the coin is now in capable hands to authenticate it and finally determine if it is in fact a "Plain Edge" or not. I am not sure as to whether I met Mr. McCawley or Mr. Grellman back when I was seriously searching for and collecting Error and Variety Coins but our paths may have crossed at some point. I was wondering about what happened with contacting Larry Briggs! Did Larry never get back to you or was there some other problem?

Good luck!

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I've asked many experts (Jack Beymer, Butternut, and Chris McCawley to name a few) about this coin, and no consensus has yet been reached. At the ANA National Money Show on Thursday, I got multiple "I don't know" 's, one "no" and one "I'm pretty sure yes." Thing is, there are a few marks on the rim that are questionable as to being grips or PMD. Butternut said that they are grips, but McCawley believes that they are just nicks in the coin. The coin is currently in the hands of McCawley as he has offered to authenticate it and possibly consign it for free. He will do this by looking at the edge under a microscope and sending it out to other experts (notably Bob Grellman) to get their opinions as well. All told, I should find out about it in about a month. Wish me luck!

Sorry I did not read this sooner! I am hoping that it comes back as the "Plain Edge"! It sounds as if the coin is now in capable hands to authenticate it and finally determine if it is in fact a "Plain Edge" or not. I am not sure as to whether I met Mr. McCawley or Mr. Grellman back when I was seriously searching for and collecting Error and Variety Coins but our paths may have crossed at some point. I was wondering about what happened with contacting Larry Briggs! Did Larry never get back to you or was there some other problem?

Good luck!

Frank

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread