Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this in regular pocket change. There appears to be a shadow "5" to the right of the last 5 in the date. Wondering what it really is or how it happened because nothing else on the coin appears altered.

20140217_232843.jpg 20140217_232855.jpg 20140217_232903.jpg 20140217_232932.jpg 20140217_233028.jpg 20140217_233035.jpg 20140217_233156.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It is called a "Poor Man's Doubled Die" which is a misnomer as it was not due to doubling on a Die. The doubling of the last "5" in the Date, sometimes both "5's" and occasionally the "9" in the Date as well, is/are due to Die wear and fatigue. I believe that occasionally, this type of doubling due to Die wear and fatigue has been seen on some 1955-P Double Die #3 and Double Die #4 specimens. However, I cannot see anything that would make me think that your' coin is either but these two Double Die Varieties are very hard to identify/determine even on high grade specimen coins.

Frank

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I sure wish they were worth something. I have a bag of them around here somewhere..

There are actually folks that collect them! If you take some really good pics of some of the coins and offer them in plastic tube rolls or individually, you might be able to get a fairly good return on them on eBay. Just check out the "Sold" listings for these on eBay and you will see what I mean. Honestly, I really don't see why some fetch the prices that they do!

Ah heck, I will save you time. Just go to the link below.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odk...H0.X1955+poor+man&_nkw=1955+poor+man&_sacat=0

Frank

OP
OP
ResurrectedVirginia

ResurrectedVirginia

Jan 8, 2014
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Huntsman53. I see what you mean and thanks for the info.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are actually folks that collect them! If you take some really good pics of some of the coins and offer them in plastic tube rolls or individually, you might be able to get a fairly good return on them on eBay. Just check out the "Sold" listings for these on eBay and you will see what I mean. Honestly, I really don't see why some fetch the prices that they do!

Ah heck, I will save you time. Just go to the link below.

1955 poor man | eBay

Frank

cool. had no idea there was a demand for those

CoinHELP!

Aug 9, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's a demand and value because people started selling them as Poor Man's Doubled Dies so the name stuck and they gained a premium. However, this is not rare and you can find this on other dates, and it's actually outside abraded die doubling. A mint employee used and abrasive tool to try and fix the die cavity edge, because it was wearing from fatigue, and this created a shallow, hollowed out area that filled in with the planchet metal during the strike.

These are not not doubled dies at all and why it's referred to as abraded die doubling. If a person collects these and willing to pay a premium then that's what collecting is all about, just as long as they know they're not actually buying a doubled die. In 1955 there's at least 15 known doubled dies and only one is rare and valuable, the rest are the true "Poor Mans".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread