1898 S Barber Half, Inverted S

Sobo

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Been buying some coins recently on eBay and picked up this half at melt. When I got this in the mail today noticed something seemed a bit odd about the mint mark. So I looked at it under some magnification, and it appears to be an Inverted S. I'm fairly sure this is an inverted S, but I would like an experts opinion. And would this increase the value of this half?

Thanks for any help in advance 8-)

IMG_20140228_184728_816.jpg
IMG_20140228_184751_594.jpg
IMG_20140228_184805_119.jpg
IMG_20140228_184926_975.jpg
IMG_20140228_184941_395.jpg

greg1186

Dec 19, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey I was looking at this and I have the same thing on a Morgan... Never thought of it as an error though.. I took this picture myself...

image-2458165948.jpg

Are these indeed errors? Or is this common with S mint marks? Anyone got answers? Thanks in advance!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Been buying some coins recently on eBay and picked up this half at melt. When I got this in the mail today noticed something seemed a bit odd about the mint mark. So I looked at it under some magnification, and it appears to be an Inverted S. I'm fairly sure this is an inverted S, but I would like an experts opinion. And would this increase the value of this half?

Thanks for any help in advance 8-)

Pics removed to save space.

Sobo,

Although the Mintmark has suffered some wear and damage, it does appear that it is Inverted! I have not seen this Variety listed and am unsure as to the value. It is a shame that your' coin is not in better condition. I would recommend contacting a Variety Attributer with Coneca at the link below.

CONECA

Frank

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey I was looking at this and I have the same thing on a Morgan... Never thought of it as an error though.. I took this picture myself...

View attachment 952415

Are these indeed errors? Or is this common with S mint marks? Anyone got answers? Thanks in advance!

greg1186,

The Mintmark on your' Morgan Dollar does look like it may be Inverted! What is the Date of the coin and could you post pics of both the Obverse and Reverse and a closeup straight on pic of the Mintmark? I would advise contacting the folks at Vam World at the link below and send them pics. If they believe it has an Inverted "S", they will probably advise sending the coin to Leroy Van Allen for attribution and if it is a new VAM, then Mr. Van Allen will advise the folks at VAM World and Coin World.

http://www.vamworld.com

Frank

OP
OP
Sobo

Sobo

Apr 29, 2011
Detector(s) used
Ctx 3030, Omega 8500, AT Pro, Ace 150, Explorer XS, Explorer SE / Sunray Probe, Bounter Hunter Land Ranger Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for taking the time to reply :), I'll look into contacting CONECA. I'll update this thread with updates.

greg1186

Dec 19, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
greg1186, The Mintmark on your' Morgan Dollar does look like it may be Inverted! What is the Date of the coin and could you post pics of both the Obverse and Reverse and a closeup straight on pic of the Mintmark? I would advise contacting the folks at Vam World at the link below and send them pics. If they believe it has an Inverted "S", they will probably advise sending the coin to Leroy Van Allen for attribution and if it is a new VAM, then Mr. Van Allen will advise the folks at VAM World and Coin World. http://www.vamworld.com Frank
huntsman... Thanks for the response. I'm not home right now but will post the requested pics tomorrow... Thanks for
The response!

greg1186

Dec 19, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
huntsman... Thanks for the response. I'm not home right now but will post the requested pics tomorrow... Thanks for The response!
huntsman here are more pics of my possibly inverted S Morgan. It's an 1881 in really nice shape! Anyway here are the pics. Anyone else have any input is appreciate it. Thank you!

image-1798809416.jpg

image-3969872631.jpg

image-4020161833.jpg

greg1186

Dec 19, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
greg1186, The Mintmark on your' Morgan Dollar does look like it may be Inverted! What is the Date of the coin and could you post pics of both the Obverse and Reverse and a closeup straight on pic of the Mintmark? I would advise contacting the folks at Vam World at the link below and send them pics. If they believe it has an Inverted "S", they will probably advise sending the coin to Leroy Van Allen for attribution and if it is a new VAM, then Mr. Van Allen will advise the folks at VAM World and Coin World. http://www.vamworld.com Frank
hey I replied again. I'm new to T net so not sure if you were notified.. Hope you get this!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
hey I replied again. I'm new to T net so not sure if you were notified.. Hope you get this!

Sorry but I don't get notifications of replies to my postings! With that said, I should say "WOW"! You did not say that the coin was DMPL even though it has clouding that hides much of it. Anyways, that is a really nice coin! I am truly unsure as to whether it is an Inverted "S" Variety or simply an 1881-S that had extra grinding and polishing around the Mintmark on the Reverse Die possibly to remove evidence of a Repunched Mintmark. VAM World lists quite a few "S/S" ("S over S") Varieties but no Inverted "S" Variety. See the link below for all of the known 1881-S Morgan Silver Dollar VAM's. As previously stated, contact the folks at VAM World and see what they say.

http://www.vamworld.com/1881-S+VAMs

Good luck!

Frank

Scalper

Bronze Member
Jul 18, 2006
Curitiba, Brazil
You have been giving some good advise and it does look different then the S on my 1895 Morgan ...they do not even resemble each other fwiw, best of luck ,Ed

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've seen a few likes this in the past.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions