Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Based on sold eBay prices and the PCGS and Numismedia Price Guides, I would say that the 1912 $10 Indian Head Gold would fetch around $1,400 at current market give or take $50 to $100 and the 1900 $20 Liberty Head Gold would fetch anywhere from $1,600 to $2,100. Although the 1900 Liberty has a PCGS MS-63+ grade, what appears to be mainly contact rub from the holder (although there may have been some contact rub prior to it being holdered), may significantly effect the price it brings. The one at the link below fetched $2,100 and although it has a couple of small nicks on Miss Liberty's face, it has great eye appeal and very little contact rub.

1900 $20 Liberty Double Eagle Certified MS63 by PCGS | eBay

Since Gold is down somewhat right now and if planning on selling, you might want to hold on to them until the Gold prices recover somewhat! In years past, Gold tended to trend back up just after mid-Summer and hold fairly well until December but that has not really been the trend for prices in the last 14 months. It really is a wait and see scenario and knowing when and when not to sell!

Good luck!

Frank

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although the 1900 Liberty has a PCGS MS-63+ grade, what appears to be mainly contact rub from the holder (although there may have been some contact rub prior to it being holdered), may significantly effect the price it brings.

I agree frank and I also suspect some rub on the $10 Indian as well, mainly the hair above the face and on the reverse the top of the wing below the neck or am i just seeing things? Dont take these comments as negative treble hunter this is common practice among TPG's.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree frank and I also suspect some rub on the $10 Indian as well, mainly the hair above the face and on the reverse the top of the wing below the neck or am i just seeing things? Dont take these comments as negative treble hunter this is common practice among TPG's.

You are absolutely correct! Although the 1912 $10 Indian is significantly more valuable than 1900 $20 Liberty in respect to their denominations and amount of Gold they contain, I did not concentrate on the $10 piece because of the + rating beside the MS-63 PCGS grade on the $20 piece. Also, although the $1,400 price give or take $50 to $100 either side may hold for the $10 piece, it really depends upon those who are bidding, how they view the eye appeal of the coin and if Gold prices hold fairly steady.

Thanks for catching this and bringing it to my attention! Sometimes I just get too hurried in trying to give the O.P. an answer, that I overlook other facts and details.

Frank

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are absolutely correct! Although the 1912 $10 Indian is significantly more valuable than 1900 $20 Liberty in respect to their denominations and amount of Gold they contain, I did not concentrate on the $10 piece because of the + rating beside the MS-63 PCGS grade on the $20 piece. Also, although the $1,400 price give or take $50 to $100 either side may hold for the $10 piece, it really depends upon those who are bidding, how they view the eye appeal of the coin and if Gold prices hold fairly steady. Thanks for catching this and bringing it to my attention! Sometimes I just get too hurried in trying to give the O.P. an answer, that I overlook other facts and details. Frank
I always say a coin has a thousand faces and until you hold it in your hand you have not seen all of them. The price of a coin is never static and is always changing but eye appeal always remains on top, I would personally want an eye appealing AU58 over a MS63.

Last edited by a moderator:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Getting a little rude if you ask me?

treblehunter,

coinguy*matthew was not being rude, he was just stating the facts of Coin collecting and the Coin collecting World. Also, eye appeal is what sells each and every coin within price ranges. If a Collector feels that he or she can live with a specific coin even though it has less eye appeal but the price is low, then they will pull the trigger on it to purchase the coin. At the same time, if a Collector has to pay a premium above market pricing for a coin, then it better have really good eye appeal, otherwise they will pass until they find the specimen they are looking for. Also, it is evident that coinguy*matthew has seen and would purchase many a coin in AU-58 that had way much better eye appeal than some that were graded MS-63 and this is the general feeling among Collectors and Dealers alike.

Frank

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its ok huntsman some people just cannot handle the truth and to think of being warned for being rude after all the people i have helped here.....:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its ok huntsman some people just cannot handle the truth and to think of being warned for being rude after all the people i have helped here.....:icon_scratch:
Sometime things don't seem what they are in text. Although I did just ask for a value not a personal grading. Even your last arrogant post, sounds like, "well to think of some people and after all Iv'e done for everyone around here" It all boils down to opinions and how people talk to people. You and huntsman were like having a personal conversation like I wasn't even in the room. Some things just don't need to be said. Besides the fact that did you ever think the rub you two were seeing might of been the plastic slab and play on the light.
I'll give you, maybe, I read into it wrong, but I still think it was stuff that didn't need to be said and you need to check your arrogance at the door, both of you.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never would have edited your post if you didn't feel you had done something wrong.

OP
OP
treblehunter

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to say, the reason I started this thread was to compare the value to what appears on the NGC coin explorer. It's kind of a thing between myself and a buddy of mine. Goes back to the old adage that, "it's only worth what you sell it for" and that is for everything. These two coins, I will never sell, they will get handed down to my spoiled brat son when I die. Sorry if my thread took a turn for the worse, just no need to call someone's coin a "dog" I don't care how many people you helped in the past or who you think you are.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to say, the reason I started this thread was to compare the value to what appears on the NGC coin explorer. It's kind of a thing between myself and a buddy of mine. Goes back to the old adage that, "it's only worth what you sell it for" and that is for everything. These two coins, I will never sell, they will get handed down to my spoiled brat son when I die. Sorry if my thread took a turn for the worse, just no need to call someone's coin a "dog" I don't care how many people you helped in the past or who you think you are.

I never called your coin a dog i was complimenting them actually, what i was saying is that although your coins have some evidence of rub i would rather buy them instead of a MS63 with no wear but heavy bag marks.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You start a thread asking about the value if your coins and then get offended by an honest discussion of your coins? If you ask people what their opinion on the value of a coin, that in itself invites people to make assessments on grade, eye appeal and possible flaws. Why you are taking very minor criticism of the coins personally is beyond me, unless you made the coin yourself or are here to sell the coin, there is no need to get upset over any of this. Then you start calling people arrogant, people who were trying to help you. I just find the turn this thread has taken rather ridiculous to be honest.

I hope that this thread doesn't dissuade members from giving honest opinions in fear of being attacked or being reported to moderators.

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Sometime things don't seem what they are in text. Although I did just ask for a value not a personal grading. Even your last arrogant post, sounds like, "well to think of some people and after all Iv'e done for everyone around here" It all boils down to opinions and how people talk to people. You and huntsman were like having a personal conversation like I wasn't even in the room. Some things just don't need to be said. Besides the fact that did you ever think the rub you two were seeing might of been the plastic slab and play on the light.
I'll give you, maybe, I read into it wrong, but I still think it was stuff that didn't need to be said and you need to check your arrogance at the door, both of you.

You are right, we were having a personal conversation about what we each saw or didn't see in the assessment of the coins. This wasn't done intentionally to leave you out, it just happens! Myself and I am sure that coinguy*matthew were not being arrogant in what we each stated and I am sorry that you felt that we were being arrogant! Also, the statement "I would personally want an eye appealing AU58 over a dog MS63." was a generalization of Collectors/Dealers purchasing coins and not even remotely directed towards your' coins. Myself and from the statement, I assume that coinguy*matthew both have passed up MS-63 graded coins and purchased lesser graded coins because they actually had better eye appeal than the MS-63's.

Also, you are right, we did not take into consideration that the rub might be on the plastic holder or due to play of light. However, asking folks to assess coins based on pics alone and them not having the coins in hand for evaluation, will usually end up with a flawed assessment.

Personally, I think that everyone would be better served if I no longer give assessments of coins and their values, so that there will be no hurt feelings or misinterpretation of what was written and I would imagine that coinguy*matthew feels the same way! I am not an Expert by any means on all coins in the bigger sense as my knowledge and expertise is mainly in Error and Variety coins. However, I have researched, studied as well as analyzed tens of thousands of coins and learned alot in the nearly 41 years that I have been searching, collecting, buying, selling and trading coins. I give of my knowledge and experience freely to anyone and everyone that needs help but when you do so, then you are called arrogant, it makes you want to consider if it is all worth it!

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread