My 1932 S quarter

greg1186

Dec 19, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is my 32 S from my collection. Can anyone tell me a potential grade on this coin? And also it's value? Thank you!

image-2148761234.jpg

image-2892857207.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I don't see the hair lines about Washington's ear, so I'd say less than F-12.
Ebay will give you current selling prices. Look under "Completed Listings" for actual sales, not current asking prices.
Don.........

OP
OP
greg1186

greg1186

Dec 19, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't see the hair lines about Washington's ear, so I'd say less than F-12. Ebay will give you current selling prices. Look under "Completed Listings" for actual sales, not current asking prices. Don.........
ok, thanks for your input Don. I purchased it for 63 dollars. Do you think I got a good deal?

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
real good deal, same sold in my coin club last week for $115

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im always suspicious of these because of the many counterfeits but your pics are not good enough to rule anything out......

The Washington quarter series is plagued by two deceptive struck counterfeits and several “added mintmark” alterations.
The most common added mintmarks are found on the 1932-D, 1932-S, 1934-D and 1936-D quarters. The 1932’s are altered far more commonly than the others. They began showing up in quantity in the 1960’s and throughout the 1970’s. They are, in all likelihood, being produced today, but with more sophistication and in smaller quantities than we have seen in the past.
Since a fairly large quantity of dies were used for the production of these coins, we do not use die polish, mintmark position or other die markers in authentication. [Editor’s note: ANAAB and other authenticators will often look for key diagnostic features on a coin to determine authenticity. For example, a genuine example of a three-legged buffalo nickel will show a distinct raised ridge between the legs of the bison. While the Washington quarters offer a few such references, none are considered conclusive evidence – which makes them very difficult to authenticate.]
Genuine coins tend to display a crisp, high relief mintmark with distinct serifs that often sit within a slight depression. The mintmark’s sharp edges and high relief tend to contrast with the gently rising design features, such as the stems and lettering around it. This led one of my mentors, John Hunter of 1970’s ANACS (American Numismatic Association Certification Service) fame, to state, “If it looks good, it’s probably bad. And if it looks bad, it’s probably good!”
Also due to the high relief of the mintmarks, they often display machine doubling, whereas the design features seldom show any. I have never seen an added mintmark which displayed machine doubling or double punching. Often mintmarks are filled, with no inner openings. This is more characteristic of genuine coins than alterations.
As with any added mintmark, look for evidence of a seam, or tooling and smoothing. Often when adhesive is a solder, you will notice a heat-induced discoloration of the mintmark. After time, solder will oxidize and discolor differently than the surrounding silver. Look for green or white discolorations surrounding the mintmark.

Washington Quarters > Ch. 2 > Altered & Counterfeit Coins | David Lawrence Rare Coins Blog

EccentricInTexas

Jan 14, 2013
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 11DD coil 11x15DD coil 6DD coil
Schiebel AN-19/2,
Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro,
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICE Buy!!!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd give the obverse a VG-8 and the reverse a F-12.

NEPADIGGER7

Bronze Member
Sep 3, 2013
Downtown Lehman
Detector(s) used
minelab safari,whites m6, AT Pro, Ace 250 and whites coin master, Garrett AT propointer (garrett carrot), Lesche hand digger, 5x8 & 8.5x11 DD coils for the Pro, Camera is Ion Air Pro 3
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Get it certified a lot of 32p had the mintmark of s added countless fakes out there. I hope yours is real I really do but I would take it to a pro. Goodluck and keep US posted its a beautiful coin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread