Jefferson Nickel Questions

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just started hunting nickels for my pre-62 Jefferson album. I have a few finds I'd like to share, as well as a couple questions.

First, a photo of my finds.

Second, my questions:
1) What is wrong with the "blurry" nickel? I think I can make out a 1999 D. Is it a grease error? Is it worth keeping?

2) Is there any way to "shine" the buffalo nickel? In the condition it is in I cannot see a date on the obverse, so I did not bother with a photo of it.

Thanks to all in advance for your input...I am enjoying the nickel hunting so far!

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Buff looks dug, NICaDATE will reveal the date, small drop left on coin in date area only for 1 to 2 minutes, wick liquid with tissue then wash with soap & water. same for reverse to reveal MM if not visible. repeat if date is still weak

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I just started hunting nickels for my pre-62 Jefferson album. I have a few finds I'd like to share, as well as a couple questions.

my questions:
1) What is wrong with the "blurry" nickel? I think I can make out a 1999 D. Is it a grease error? Is it worth keeping?

2) Is there any way to "shine" the buffalo nickel? In the condition it is in I cannot see a date on the obverse, so I did not bother with a photo of it.

Thanks to all in advance for your input...I am enjoying the nickel hunting so far!

It is somewhat hard to tell but it looks as if it may be a "Capped Die" Strike otherwise known as a Brockage. A closeup pic of the coin might help in identification!

Frank

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't really want to artificially "shine" any coin. It can ruin any collector value it might have. The Buff is pretty much toast to a collector so experiment like port ewen ace suggested all you want.

OP
OP
bertmaster2000

bertmaster2000

Dec 19, 2013
Northern US
Detector(s) used
Minelab 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is somewhat hard to tell but it looks as if it may be a "Capped Die" Strike otherwise known as a Brockage. A closeup pic of the coin might help in identification!

Frank

I just received a reply on another coin forum where I asked the same question. Frank, you were correct, the "blurry" nickel is the result of a late-stage capped die strike, so the error is a late stage capped die error. I'll keep it because it is an obvious example of an error coin :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for your help!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I just received a reply on another coin forum where I asked the same question. Frank, you were correct, the "blurry" nickel is the result of a late-stage capped die strike, so the error is a late stage capped die error. I'll keep it because it is an obvious example of an error coin :icon_thumleft:

Thanks for your help!

Great! It is a great Error coin to start a collection off with as they are fairly hard to find and not all that cheap to purchase. Good luck on your future Error coin hunting and Variety coin hunting as well, if you decide to collect them as well!

Frank

CoinHuntingDrew

Dec 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely what Frank said above. I found a 2000D exactly like that, except it was much more "blurrier"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread