🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
rabies is very rare &
mice will be standing on chairs Screaming "Man ! Man ! Eeek ! Man ! "
in other words more scared of you .
if you see an occupied nest, or angry raccoon then all bets are off
laughing7.gif

since it's a crawl space, just be alert for sharp things like nails sticking out of walls & good Luck !

if Your not allergic to anything,
& don't get stuck. you should be fine.

so after looking at your other posts I see you are 15.
Just try to have someone as a back-up outside the crawl space
just in case you need reinforcements
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I would recommend at least a cheap dust mask,maybe even goggles if its really dusty or has any glass insulation.. Dust can be rough on your lungs. Gloves and a good clean up after. Mice should be expected, their droppings likely more of a threat if huffed than actual live mice.You,ll smell if they been peeing there ,spiders worry me more than rodents in regards to bites.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, spiders, snakes, and rats would be your main concern. Bring a good light, a stick for the cob webs, some knee and elbow pads, mask, and goggles. Depending on how much vertical clearance you have, you may have to hunt with a pin pointer and probe if you can't get far enough away from pipes, nails, and wiring. Look for disturbed ground or anything out of the ordinary.

OP
OP
jolteon

jolteon

Feb 22, 2014
It is winter time in north east USA thx bug I'm concerned about getting hurt like rodent and snakes rural area mice not rats

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is winter time in north east USA thx bug I'm concerned about getting hurt like rodent and snakes rural area mice not rats

Yea I think your safe on Snakes at this time of year but, I don't know snakes. I killed a spider on the windshield of my car last monday so it is obvious they are awake.
(my car sat for over a year before I bought it, & there is definitely Spider nest(s)
in it. I killed them regularly last year. seemed every time I got in
I had one in front of my face at some point. They also liked building webs in it
as fast as I tore them down.
)

Not sure how many Deadly Spiders in the N.E. though. More likely would depend on personal allergies

Last edited:

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a legend about my crawl space that someone buried there money around 1920 before I go in there is there any danger there is mice already know that is okay to wave a metal detector around I don't want raves or any sickness or anything like that at all thx Jolt is out

if you have to ask that question, I'm seriously thinking you are not the right person to sufficiently search that crawl space

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
once i read about a man going thru a crawl space where he encountered zombie looking creatures, i dont think it happens very often but -- just saying

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I think that your biggest worry at this time of year would be Black Widow and Brown Recluse Spiders. However, if the crawl space is open in one or more locations, then Raccoons, Fox, or a Cat that has gone totally wild, could be another worry.

Frank

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is a story about buried money in the crawl space, don't confine your search to that area only.

If I had money to hide, I'm not crawling back in some tight spot to try and hide it.

Look around the property and think where you might hide something.

Post some pics of the basement/crawl space. Good luck.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Throw some bug bombs in there and leave the house for a couple hours. Although I did This once at night when there was a cricket under the trailer I was in and got super sick. So make sure you leave!

On another note maybe a garret pin pointer wouldn't be a bad idea? Instead of a metal detector.

Also I worked on Thomas Edison's summer house down here in fort myers. At first it was scary as heck all the possible spiders, snakes, roaches. Plus that house is pretty old. All the knob and tube wire was still in use and had to be replaced (to avoid Electrocution) after the initial fear of the critters, thinking of being under Edison's house and the history there was awesome!! Get a snow suit on if your up north and get on it that hole!

BobbyDawg

Tenderfoot
Mar 14, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down south we got lots a little bittin critters with venom. Go get you a snake bite kit at wal-mart. They have one now that works without having to cut yourself.
It has a sort of syringe type thing that locks onto ya at the bite spot and sucks the stuff out the bite hole. Works on bee stings and bug bites and snake bites.
Its approved by the medical association. I think its about 12 bucks.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The so-called hantavirus from the mouse droppings is my biggest fear when entering old attics/dry crawlspaces where mice are evident. It's endemic to much of the US although cases are not common, and especially uncommon in the northeast. I'm a worst case scenario kind of guy though. Good luck!!

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions