Lets see how good you guys are...what is this coin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are having trouble taking somewhat closeup and in-focus pics, try holding a magnifying glass or a Gem Loupe against the front of the camera's lens. It may take awhile and a few times of trial and error but you should be able to get some decent pics. However, if they at the least come out in-focus, the pics can be copied, enlarged, enhanced and reposted here. Frank

Taking a macro shot is not the issue for a very worn coin, and in most cases you'd see the same thing you see straight on.... a lot of nothing. Bright light and different angles is what to try. For silver coins a quick soak in lemon juice will sometimes give some very slight detail on what seemed like a blank coin, and again under the light and turning it to try and find some detail. I've had so many worn coppers run through my hands over the years I could measure them in pounds.

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here ya go

Attachments

• DSC04561(resize).JPG
    DSC04561(resize).JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC04562(resize).JPG
    DSC04562(resize).JPG
    51.4 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC04563(resize).JPG
    DSC04563(resize).JPG
    49.9 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC04564(resize).JPG
    DSC04564(resize).JPG
    50.7 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC04569(resize).JPG
    DSC04569(resize).JPG
    58.3 KB · Views: 83
  • DSC04565(resize).JPG
    DSC04565(resize).JPG
    51 KB · Views: 76
  • DSC04567(resize).JPG
    DSC04567(resize).JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 100

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it would be a slick coin, but it's more a corrosion and deterioration issue.

Clear outlines for both sides, and definitely sticking to the George II Halfpenny ID.... but looks like even getting a single letter will be tough!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PS: Now actually seeing a pic I would bet both my detectors! :happysmiley:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A free dip in the candy jar for Iron Patch :thumbsup:

SS

OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
but the problem with that is the scratch is 90 degrees off of the plane it should be in compared to the obverse. If you hold it upright on the obverse and then flip it over either horizontally or vertically, that scratch is either on the right or the left side of the coin at the 3:00 or 9:00 position, depending on which way you do it. The place you're saying there appears to be a date is on the side of the reverse, so those last two pictures there are rotated 90 degrees from where they should be based on the orientation of the obverse side which has no question about its orientation.

Last edited:
OP
OP
TrpnBils

TrpnBils

Jan 2, 2005
Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
although it is in the right location of the "NIA" on the picture posted on the first page of this thread and appears to be limited to that small area of the coin rather than something written all the way around the rim, for example.

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Another possibility is the 1762 Imitation GEORGIVS II Halfpenny thought to have been produced by Anton and Kesse which were around 27.6 mm in diameter and weighed around 85.2 grams. Unlike similar coins of the period such as Machin's Mills imitations and Vlack coinage, these coins did not have a rim design and although it is really hard to tell, your' coin does not appear to have a rim design or at the least, anything that is visible. See the pics below but in the meantime, I will keep searching for possible candidates for a match. Frank

Hi - I just wanted to clarify that the coin you posted here is a 1752 Simian family imitation (a large family of contemporary counterfeit halfpennies that covers coins of both George II and George III) and was most likely minted in Great Britain by a yet unknown group. The size and weight of these coins can vary though the Simian imitations are usually found to be thin and lightweight.

Anton/Kesse are present day numismatists who wrote a book on imitation halfpennies -

Anton & Kesse: The Forgotten Coins of the North American Colonies

I think the OP's coin is a George II halfpenny. There were many different styles of counterfeits of these types of coins in circulation and the sizes and weights are by no means firmly established.

Nice find! :thumbsup:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It is clearly a KGII halfpenny. It was identified as so many posts up. I dont understand how this debate is still ongoing?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is clearly a KGII halfpenny. It was identified as so many posts up. I dont understand how this debate is still ongoing?
Because the ground is still snow covered and frozen! :sad10: ...at least for me it is!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
There never was a debate but some tried to make it such and have done so on other occasions! All I ever try to do, is to help and to provide the O.P's with the best information that I can give whether it is from my knowledge and experience or from research in books or online. I spent countless hours searching for coins that could possibly match the O.P's coin but once Iron Patch gives an answer, it seems that it is Gospel and no other choices or opinions matter. I bow to Iron Patch for his knowledge and expertise concerning Colonial and other coins but he is not infallible and not a God that is all seeing and all knowing! Since my hard work and diligence is not appreciated even if it may be wrong but done in good faith or even if it is correct, I will no longer spend countless hours researching for those who do not appreciate it. Therefore, I deleted all of my posts concerning the O.P's coin in this Thread as it was/is neither appreciated or wanted and therefore, all that I did was just a waste of my time. I don't know if some of this comes from an earlier disagreement here on TNnet and some still hold a grudge, I don't really care and will no longer be a pawn in anyone's grudge game. I think that my record of helping folks here on TNnet in the short time I have been a member, stands for itself! For those that have and continue to support me, I say thanks! You and any others that truly need and want help, I will do my best to provide the best information, help and advice that I can. For those that apparently do not want or appreciate my help, then that is your choice as it is my choice not to provide any assistance to you.

There is no need to respond to this reply as a counter-reply from me, will not be forthcoming.

Frank

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread