enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mint marks were punched by hand into each die during that time. That's why the location varies.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The mint marks were punched by hand into each die during that time. That's why the location varies.

Yep! Could have been a bad day for the Mint Worker tasked with manually punching the Mint marks into the Dies (i.e. Monday morning blues, ticked-off, sick or hung-over). Seeing double doesn't help and probably accounts for many of the RPM (Re-Punched Mint Mark) Varieties.

Frank

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep! Could have been a bad day for the Mint Worker tasked with manually punching the Mint marks into the Dies (i.e. Monday morning blues, ticked-off, sick or hung-over). Seeing double doesn't help and probably accounts for many of the RPM (Re-Punched Mint Mark) Varieties.

Frank

That explains everything...

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makes sense, I had no idea. Ugh, just went through a box of halves and found NOTHING. I swear I never find anything when I get coins with the Dunbar wrapper. Thinking about switching to quarters, would like to do dimes but in my short career I have already seen the coin machines count my dimes as cents.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread