Wild 1952 Ben Franklin Error Half Dollar

PattyMah

Mar 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello. I have this pretty wacky Ben Franklin half dollar that I've nicknamed "Glasgow Smile Ben" on account of the Sons of Anarchy-esque disfigurement on his face. This coin has fascinated me since I inherited it in the mid-90s. I had it up on eBay briefly, but even there it raised more questions than it generated answers. So for now, I'm not trying to sell it, but I'd LOVE to hear some theories about what kind of error this is.

These images show the error at a fairly high resolution. You can see that both sides of the coin are affected. It's a little tough to tell from a photo, but it also appears as if the entire coin is a bit warped (it's more apparent when I hold "Glasgow Ben" next to an unmaimed Ben Franklin half). And the Liberty Bell seems slightly askew in relation to the face.

All input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

bglasgow1952a.jpg bglasgow1952b.jpg baglasgowbenclose.jpg baglasgowbencloseb.jpg

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not an error I am afraid, it is just damaged. There is a large scrape on Franklin's face pushing up a ridge of metal and another just ahead of his face. The fact that it is bent confirms it, when a coin is struck between the dies it is flat, if there is a bend it can only happen after striking.

Last edited:

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is correct. You said yourself it is maimed. Definitely Pmd.
HH
Enamel7

OP
OP
P

PattyMah

Mar 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you both! Glasgow Ben remains priceless... in my heart.

coinguy*matthew

Mar 30, 2013
N.H.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any error in the striking process of a coin will be raised off the surface, your coin is gouged PMD....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread