image-2885829992.jpg

image-1396835791.jpg

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
First, I will say that the pic of the coin is way too small to possibly give an accurate grade on the coin. Second, a lot of Counterfeits of these coin exist out there in Collections, Hoards and are sold every day. Third, even if the pics were good enough to see pertinent details, I do not know where my' Counterfeit Detection Book is to determine if the coin is a Counterfeit or not but I will look for it. Fourth, with such a bad bend in the coin, I would hope that you did not pay a lot for the coin as the bend seriously effects the value as well as the grade of the coin.

Frank

OP
OP
greg1186

greg1186

Dec 19, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
First, I will say that the pic of the coin is way too small to possibly give an accurate grade on the coin. Second, a lot of Counterfeits of these coin exist out there in Collections, Hoards and are sold every day. Third, even if the pics were good enough to see pertinent details, I do not know where my' Counterfeit Detection Book is to determine if the coin is a Counterfeit or not but I will look for it. Fourth, with such a bad bend in the coin, I would hope that you did not pay a lot for the coin as the bend seriously effects the value as well as the grade of the coin. Frank
I'll have to weigh it and take better pics tomorrow. Any other ways that can help determine other than grading?

OP
OP
greg1186

greg1186

Dec 19, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't understand your question! Determine what, other than grading? Frank
the authenticity... I weighed and it weighs exactly 1.67 grams which is what it should from what I read. I bought it for a really good price. But yes, that is what I was asking.. Other ways to identify it's authenticity.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
the authenticity... I weighed and it weighs exactly 1.67 grams which is what it should from what I read. I bought it for a really good price. But yes, that is what I was asking.. Other ways to identify it's authenticity.

There are Die Markers for the known Counterfeits for this coin but without my' book, I am unable to tell. And, yes, some of the Counterfeits are that good.

Frank

OP
OP
greg1186

greg1186

Dec 19, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There are Die Markers for the known Counterfeits for this coin but without my' book, I am unable to tell. And, yes, some of the Counterfeits are that good. Frank
here are better pics I took. I understand you can't help me anymore.. But here are the pics anyway! Thanks!

image-4015800591.jpg

image-1243364676.jpg

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a beautiful coin, despite the damage. I can't help you with authenticity, but it looks legit. Then again, what do I know about spotting counterfeits? Hoping it turns out best for you!

OP
OP
greg1186

greg1186

Dec 19, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Maybe I'll bring it to the coin store... Worst comes to worst I'll let him test it somehow

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe I'll bring it to the coin store... Worst comes to worst I'll let him test it somehow

Be aware that if the coin is a Counterfeit, then it could have more or less pure Gold in it than a genuine 1856 $1 Dollar Gold coin. Because of this, some Counterfeit Gold Coins can actually be worth more than their genuine counterparts. Most Counterfeiters weren't/aren't that good in getting the Gold purity in counterfeited Gold coins correct.

Frank

OP
OP
greg1186

greg1186

Dec 19, 2013
Northern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be aware that if the coin is a Counterfeit, then it could have more or less pure Gold in it than a genuine 1856 $1 Dollar Gold coin. Because of this, some Counterfeit Gold Coins can actually be worth more than their genuine counterparts. Most Counterfeiters weren't/aren't that good in getting the Gold purity in counterfeited Gold coins correct. Frank
haha okay, I give up, whether it's real or not.. It's going in my US type book. And hopefully it looks nice in there! Thanks for all your input!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread