Advice on selling world coins

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have amassed a big bag of world coins that I do not want to collect and wondered if folks here have any suggestions for how to best sell them. Thankfully the coins were acquired for little or nothing out of pocket.

I've pulled out the silver coins and will probably sell those on ebay. As for the others, I am at a loss.

I've looked up a number of the coins and, even though there are a good amount that are old (1800's), I don't think any one coin is worth more than a few bucks. A lot of the coins look like they would not go for much more than a buck on ebay. I've thought about listing anything that looks decent in a 99 cent auction, but once you figure postage and ebay/paypal fees, it would be the same as selling the coin for nothing. Might I do any better by grouping coins in any particular way? Are there countries or types that sell better than others?

Any advice or success stories appreciated.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know how many coins you have but if they're pretty much generic maybe a table at a local flea market would take them off your hands without a lot of trouble.

Regards + HH

Bill

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I like Bill's idea.
Maybe put them in piles based on approx. size and sell the small ones for $1.00 then in 25 cent increments; up to $2.00.
My suspicion is that even at those prices you would make a nice profit.
Don.....

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the 1800s ones is the grades mixed, or all low grade?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a large collection at 1 point. I listed them online as a lot, maybe a pound or 2 for $30-50. And that I had 5 lots of them. Some Guy in Venezuela ended up buying them all. Crazy amount of shipping, priority mail. But he was happy!

coinsareawesome

Bronze Member
Apr 6, 2013
Mid-Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Ace-250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a large lot on eBay that I am selling now by the bulk, but now that I think about it, I probably would've done better if I sold them by the pound. I think that's what you should do.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done well seperating by country as long as you have at least 15-20. The rest get sold as a mixed bag.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1800s are mixed.

It's hard to give advice because there's really nothing to go by. I can list them fairly quick so anything I think would sell for a dollar or two, I'll throw on and see what happens. I have been buying world/mixed coins for quite a while now and just go on my experience of past sales... so the best advice I can probably give if you want to do this and be successful, is to start listing and see what sells, and get more familiar with them in general. You have to remember that Ebay has coin buyers from everywhere and just because a coin might not appeal to you, there's often a market somewhere. I personally dislike Asian coins, but have absolutely no issue with selling them, and have had a couple even surprise me over the years. Chances are what you have is mostly common, but start with the 1800s or older that are in the higher grades, and go from there.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
There was a local Craigslist ad here for a few weeks. The individual presented them well, not slabbed or anything like that, but a good quality picture. This would appeal to children, and parents wanting to start them in a hobby. The poster asked a middle of the road price which would be tempting to parents. The ad was on a few weeks, and then disappeared. I assumed he sold them.

You might try that, and it is free.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread