Error cataloging

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Start with posting some pics then we will go from there.
^^^^ This. There are lots of guys right here who are serious coin collectors and can give you advice AFTER seeing some good cleap pictures. Many coins that appear to be erros have damage that happened after minting or have very common errors that ad no value. Submitting a coin to be slabbed isn't cheap and the last thing you want is to find out you wasted your money. Is there some reason you don't want to show it ?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Start with posting some pics then we will go from there.

I agree! Just because you cannot find any information on the Error, if in fact it is an Error, does not mean that no other specimen coins have been found with the Error. You must also understand that most Errors are not Date, Mint and Denomination or even Series specific like Varieties.

Frank

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RFshooter

Greenie
Dec 14, 2013
NJ
Call it paranoia or call it greed. I wasn't posting a pic cause I thought someone could take that photo and use it to file the error under their name. The only copyright actions I know of in numismatic are to file the error under the person who discovered it. We've all heard of the guy who found the 1969-S 1C DDO or the lady in Texas who found the speared bison nickel.
I was more so looking for information on the process to get an error catalogued. What service, magazine, website others have used in the past.

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
Well, no coin will ever receive attribution by photo only so your fear of someone copying a photo are unfounded. If indeed you have a unique variety or error, you'll eventually have to submit it for attribution. There are a number of members of CONECA that offer attribution services i.e. Ken Potter. First you'll need to start with CONECA. CONECA

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I don't see how anyone else could take credit for discovering an unknown error without actually having one in their possession for the experts to look at but it's cool. Good luck with it. I'm out..

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, no coin will ever receive attribution by photo only so your fear of someone copying a photo are unfounded. If indeed you have a unique variety or error, you'll eventually have to submit it for attribution. There are a number of members of CONECA that offer attribution services i.e. Ken Potter. First you'll need to start with CONECA. CONECA

Totally correct! While a person can send pics of a coin for an Attributer to review, the actual coin has to be submitted and attributed by an Expert Attributer at Coneca or other recognized Expert Attributer to ever be accepted as a new find and to be entered into the books and records. Just so you will more understand the process, I have added the following: While the abbreviated article of Mike Diamond's assessment of my' Discovery Error Cent in the article in the link below, does not show pics of the coin and it did not do my' Discovery Error Cent justice, the coin was originally noted in Coneca's Errorscope publication in 2006. If you scroll down to the May/June 2006 Errorscope Review then go the article below that with highlights for Aug. 13, 2006, Mike makes mention of my' Discovery Error Cent that I sent him for attribution. However, this abbreviated article left a lot out and I do not have a copy of the original article to note here. The coin was an undated cent due to all of the errors it suffered and was not only an Indented Cent struck on a Split Planchet, if memory serves me correctly (sorry the pics have long been lost due to a computer failure), it was also double or triple struck with a Brockage as well. In summation, the coin was stuck in the Striking Chamber for sometime and suffered from 5 or more striking errors besides having a Split Planchet. Mike actually traded me a bunch of Error Coins so that he could keep the coin for study and to be studied by other Error Coin Experts. In retrospect, I wish that I had loaned it to Mike, so I would have eventually gotten it back. While it was only one of many Error Coins that I found over many years of searching and inspecting coins, it was truly the most unique Error Coin that I ever found.

http://hermes.csd.net/~coneca/content/esreviews.htm

Frank

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions