My first large cent

pmorrow42

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found my first large cent this weekend in Havre De Grace, MD. I decided to hunt the area due to War of 1812 History. Coin is too corroded to ever get a date. When you hold coin in the light you can identify the "One Cent" on center reverse of coin. The flat button was found approximately five feet from the coin. Both could very well be of period to the war. Lucky find!!!

Attachments

• flatbutton.JPG
    flatbutton.JPG
    484.6 KB · Views: 116
  • largecent.JPG
    largecent.JPG
    519 KB · Views: 118
  • buttoncointop.JPG
    buttoncointop.JPG
    685.8 KB · Views: 114
  • buttoncoinbottom.JPG
    buttoncoinbottom.JPG
    687.8 KB · Views: 114

7treefrog

Aug 4, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm around Havre de grace MD do you have any hints on finding places to hunt? I'm having tons of trouble!!
(You don't have to tell me, I wouldn't wanna rob you of all the good stuff u might find haha)

OP
OP
P

pmorrow42

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries, 7treefrog, as I see it it all fair game. I do this for the love of history.....its my zen. I am not extremely familiar with Havre de Grace. I have a coworker that lives there and he let me hunt his property. 3 acres on old farmland next to a stream. Found the button and coin in same area on his land.

As for places to look, as I traveled through the countryside enroute to his place I noticed so many old farms. I keyed in on that! While getting permission to hunt on private property has its share of difficulties, it is likely worth the payout. Old farmland, especially with water sources are a good bet. We must understand that 200 years ago, during the war, the military roamed the countryside at free will. Land owners likely allowed this as the military was there to protect their interests as well as interest of United States. It is these areas that have gone untouched for many years and while more difficult to find campsites/river crossings/skirmish areas and such......if found should yeild some cool artifacts. The cooler areas such as parks, buildings, etc in downtown area probably yeilded cool artifacts but have likely been hunted out.

To revise........I would stick to the farmlands on the outskirts of the town......Some of these farms have hundreds, if not, thousands of acres. If given permission to roam some of these farms, it could be enough land to keep you busy for a long time.

Good luck!

7treefrog

Aug 4, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much! The way you think so deeply about history and all of the must likely places people have been is amazing! I can't wait to go for a nice Sunday drive and search for possible sights! Thank you again!!!!

iontyre

Mar 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in the Aberdeen area. Hope to buy a detector pretty soon. I hope there are some nice finds out there, you'll share, right?

OP
OP
P

pmorrow42

Tenderfoot
Feb 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aberdeen is a great area as well. Be careful with where you opt to hunt......A lot of areas that are off limits due to the Proving Grounds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread