Is this 1943 Copper Cent the real deal?

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
These are the only pictures I'm given, and so far I know that it doesn't stick a magnet. My thought is that "LIBERTY" looks a little off, though I'm not sure because these were struck with the same pressure that the steel ones were struck with. Based on the pictures, what is your opinion? Thanks.
c1.jpg c2.jpg
c1.jpg c2.jpg
It is in a plastic flip so the scratches would not be on the coin.

Last edited:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like an altered 2 :laughing7:

color suggests cleaning or recent strike on new copper though

yes strike looks weak, but probably because it's an older worn cleaned coin

perhaps cleaned to hide the cleaner metal around the date that altering it produced

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
First off, it is unwise to attempt to authenticate a 1943-P "Copper" Lincoln Cent based on pics alone. A close-up and personal examination is necessary as well as knowing the weight of the coin. While I don't see anything really amiss with the Date due to subtle differences in each Obverse Die used to mint the 1943-P Lincoln Cents (i.e. wear, repairs in the way of grinding and polishing as well as Die Deterioration), these are still always suspect. You could examine 100 of the 1943-P "Zinc coated Steel" Lincoln Cents and out of those, you would probably find at least 10 different variations of the "3" in the Date due to one or more of the conditions noted in the brackets in the previous sentence. The best way to know for sure, is to have the Seller get the coin certified and graded. However, since they are selling it raw and you are purchasing it raw at probably a very low price, this would not fair well for you, as the Seller would more than likely raise the price significantly. It would be best to probably decline on the purchase and live with it, even if it does come out to be authentic because the chance that it is not authentic, are too high!

Frank

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
First off, it is unwise to attempt to authenticate a 1943-P "Copper" Lincoln Cent based on pics alone. A close-up and personal examination is necessary as well as knowing the weight of the coin. While I don't see anything really amiss with the Date due to subtle differences in each Obverse Die used to mint the 1943-P Lincoln Cents (i.e. wear, repairs in the way of grinding and polishing as well as Die Deterioration), these are still always suspect. You could examine 100 of the 1943-P "Zinc coated Steel" Lincoln Cents and out of those, you would probably find at least 10 different variations of the "3" in the Date due to one or more of the conditions noted in the brackets in the previous sentence. The best way to know for sure, is to have the Seller get the coin certified and graded. However, since they are selling it raw and you are purchasing it raw at probably a very low price, this would not fair well for you, as the Seller would more than likely raise the price significantly. It would be best to probably decline on the purchase and live with it, even if it does come out to be authentic because the chance that it is not authentic, are too high!

Frank

...straight up

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
nice, sign me up for a few 1804 silver dollars too!

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like an altered 2 :laughing7:

color suggests cleaning or recent strike on new copper though

yes strike looks weak, but probably because it's an older worn cleaned coin

perhaps cleaned to hide the cleaner metal around the date that altering it produced
altered 2 that gives me an idea:laughing7:

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FAKE....Who is claiming its legit?...the "3" looks like half an "8"

REALLY? Did you Google "1943 Penny"? I did, and saw a ton of them with the same "3".

Mike

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy it ! , if it's less than a dollar.

Unless it's Double certified . Heck triple..

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with Huntsman. A picture alone won't cut it. Personally, I wouldn't feel safe buying any raw, rare date coin, without a close personal examination as to judge for myself whether or not I thought it was real and worth purchasing. As for this one here, forget about it. If it was authentic, then there is no reason in hell why the current owner should not have already sent this one in to be certified and slabbed, as rare as it is. I know I would have... immediately! Would I pay a dollar for it? Sure.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions